Making a back up Leapard disc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mr Earl, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Mr Earl macrumors newbie

My macbook hardrive failed. Repaired under warrantee the computer came back to me with leopard installed.
    I only have Tiger disc which came with the puter.
    I'm backing up using Time machine now.
    But can I reload the OS if I needed off the time machine disc?
    Should I or can I burn a disc with leopard.

When I reloaded my win XP I got a copy of the driver disc for the bootcamp partition.

2. Mr Earl thread starter macrumors newbie

Or can I reload the OS off the time machine drive?:confused:

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Time Machine does not back up system files. Not only will you not be able to reinstall Leopard, you will not be able to restore your Time Machine backup using Tiger.

You can't burn a Leopard installer disk, but you might consider burning a copy of your installed OS. Back up any personal files and applications to another drive or partition so as to reduce the total used space on your boot partition to below 8 GB. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your hard drive to a disk image, then burn the disk image with Disk Utility. The burned disk should be bootable, and you should be able to clone the OS from there onto another drive should you need to do so.

It's all rather makeshift, though. I'd suggest either getting a full copy of Leopard or going back to Tiger.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Agreed 100%. If you like what Leopard offers and want to have Apple's current OS pick up a retail copy of Leopard. If you are happy with the performance/features that Tiger offered, just go ahead and reinstall Tiger now before you start building up stuff on the drive that will need to be saved/restored later without being able to utilize Time Machine.