Making a bootable OS 9 clone drive with OS 9?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macaholic777, May 19, 2010.

1. macaholic777 macrumors newbie

I have an old G4 system with Pro Tools recording software and related Plug-Ins installed and running flawlessly. Bad news is that the drive is about 9 yrs old and I want to make a backup before selling it to someone so they can have a bootable backup drive instead of having to re-install the whole system if the internal drive craps out.

The OS is 9.2.2. It is not classic and has no version of OS X on it t all.

How do I make a bootable clone of the whole system discs, apps an all, to an external firewire drive?

Thanks for your help!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"The OS is 9.2.2. It is not classic and has no version of OS X on it t all.
    How do I make a bootable clone of the whole system discs, apps an all, to an external firewire drive?"

OS 9 doesn't have any "hidden files" and the entire OS can be "drag-copied" to create a true copy of the original volume. You _may_ have to "bless" the System Folder to make it bootable.

I'll reckon that you can use the freeware CarbonCopyCloner app to "dupe" the contents of your main volume to the firewire target volume. This is probably the easiest way to do it.

If - after making the copy - you find that you can't boot from the firewire drive, try this:
    - Open the System Folder on the firewire drive.
    - "Grab" the file "Finder" and drag it out of the System Folder and onto the desktop, and let it go.
    - Now, "re-grab" it and drag it BACK INTO the System Folder, and let it go again. This "blesses" the System Folder and creates a bootable OS 9 volume.
    - Once more try rebooting. Any better?

(NOTE: not sure if ProTools uses any copy-protection or might have registration issues after copying.)

3. macaholic777 thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome!! I'll give it a try as soon as I get the system moved and setup. A million Thanks!!