Making a bootable Yosemite USB in Recovery Mode?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by DaniHungary, Dec 15, 2014.

1. DaniHungary macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

I have the following problem. Last day, all of a sudden my Macbook froze, and when I turn it on, there is a grey circle with a shlash in it, and won't boot. I figured that my OS X Yosemite must be corrupted somehow, because at the time I was messing with Unibeast and stuffs like that. Shouldn't be hardware issue, I can access everything in Recovery Mode. Nevermind that, now I want to reinstall Yosemite, and I need a bootable USB to do so, but I can't access my computer to make one.
    Here is what I tried:
    - Installing from recovery mode, from online, once it started, but i mistakenly unplugged it from the power source, so it did shut down. Since that it says "Can't install it, restart the application and try again" or smth like that.
    - Making one on Windows via PowerISO and TransMac. None of those 2 wanted to boot from. I formatted the USB to HFS+, that didn't help either, and when i format it in GUID in Recovery mode, Windows, and TransMac, and nothing can see the USB. Except Mac, in Recovery Mode.
    - Making one via Recovery Mode's disk utility, but I can't access invisible files, when I am looking for source, and the boot image on the InstallESD.dmg is invisible.
    - Making an InstallESD.dmg boot usb (i dont know if it's even would work...) but when i set the source, it says resource is busy.
    - Making one with the createinstall terminal command in Recovery terminal, but I have the Yosemite installer in hungarian name, and can't write "é" in terminal, so it gives me sudo can't find command message.

What should I try? I have two 8gb pendrive, a windows and a mac in Recovery Mode. No one with Mac, or Yosemite installer nearby, so I can solve it only on my own.:mad:

Thank You guys in advance.

2. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

do you have non-apple SSD drive and trim-enabler installed?

3. DaniHungary thread starter macrumors newbie

No, i dont have any of those.

4. DaniHungary thread starter macrumors newbie

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Then you did one of the steps incorrectly. Plus did you try the free DiskMaker X?

6. DaniHungary thread starter macrumors newbie

Please read again the first post then.
    I CANT ACCESS MY OSX, ONLY RECOVERY MODE. So i cant install that either...

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

8. DaniHungary thread starter macrumors newbie

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Sounds like the hard drive went south without you (it died). You will need to repce it. Try to find a friend that could make you a Yosemtie USB thumb drive for you to load a new hard drive into your Mac Book.

10. DaniHungary thread starter macrumors newbie

But in recovery mode i checked the hard drive and its fine. Now i just want to create a bootable usb, in recovery mode. And i dont know how.

11. Ulenspiegel, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Dani, you can type "é" in Terminal: Option + "e" (hold both, then release) and now type again "e".

Sok szerencsét! :)

12. DaniHungary thread starter macrumors newbie

Sikerült máshogy, de nagyon szépen köszönöm a segítséget! :)

13. Aukai macrumors newbie

Aukai

How do you fix it?

14. Tech198, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

Tech198 macrumors G4

Boot to internet recovery, not standard recovery and install OS X

Not sure u can create usb from recovery because it needs to see and point to app installer...

Internet recovery would be better