Making a clone of my hard drive for use in another machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JB71, Jul 18, 2010.

1. JB71 macrumors newbie

hello.
    Sorry if this has been asked before. I tried to use the search but couldnt find the info I was looking for.

I what I would like to do is Clone the internal hard drive of my Mac Pro (I believe its a Mac Pro 1,1. 2.66 dual core Xeon), and use the clone in the current model Mac Pro Dual core 2.66 thats out now.

I need to have both machines running everything the same as both my studio's are in two different locations.

I was gonna use Carbon Copy cloner for this. I'm running leopard OS 10.5.8 but will upgrade to Snow Leopard if I have to as i know the Current machine come with snow leopard and wont run on leopard. (or will they?)

Also i wont be able to have the two machines together as the other one is being purchased in another country. I just want to get them running identical without instaling and authorising everything again individualy.

Any idea if this will work? Or is there something else I should try?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)
    Thanks.

JB71

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

3. JB71 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks for the reply :)
    I wasnt sure if the new machine had different firmware that prevented that.

Does anyone know if some Logic pluggins will have a problem authorising on the new machine even though theyre cloned?

I know a few pluggins only let you license for use on a single machine, and you have to contact the and buy another license if you want to use it on another machine.

Will I still have to do that?

JB71