making a copy of mountain lion when its already pre installed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bill phillips, Dec 11, 2012.

1. bill phillips macrumors regular

Hey guys, sorry if this has been talked about elsewhere, ive been looking but cant seem to find my exact situation. So my question is im upgrading my 2012 macbook pro today, with a 256 soldid state drive, 16gb ram, and regular hdd drive into the optical bay.. It came preinstalled with mountain lion, i want to create a thumb drive with a copy on it to do a fresh install of it on my ssd. How exactly do i go about doing that. Its not in my applications and i dont have it as a purchase in the app store. thanks again in advance.

2. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Swap the new drive in, boot while holding CMD-R, follow the directions to connect to a wireless network and let it download ML. No purchase required, internet recovery is built into your 2012 unit.

EDIT: You can also boot to the recovery partition on the old drive if you put it into the optical bay.

3. bill phillips thread starter macrumors regular

thanks bogatyr..Im putting the ssd where the regular hdd is now, and putting the hdd into the optical bay. So basically your saying install all those parts then just boot up using cmnd and r and it'll walk me through the rest? apologies again for my noobiness. Ive been a pc user up until 3 months ago. :( ashamed

----------

and also how do i make a copy of it onto a thumb drive in case i need it for something else? or is there just no reason i would need a copy with the recovery option?

4. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Pretty much. If you don't have a recovery partition, CMD-R will boot off an internet connection by downloading the recovery then booting. Either way you're gold.

You won't be able to make a USB copy unless you buy it on the app store or download it from shady sites/torrents. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong on this.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You can create a USB recovery drive using this utility. but you don't need to on the newer models that you can use Internet recovery.

6. bill phillips thread starter macrumors regular

ok guys. installed evrythn. just booted back up holdin down the option key..got to the point where its says reinstall mountain lion so i clicked that then the only thing that shows up to choose is the original hard drive...shouldnt the ssd be registering? or do i just click the original drive. or should boot over using cmnd r this time instead??

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You need to use disk utility in the upper menu to partition and format the drive

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

This, and partition as GUID, otherwise it can not boot from it.

9. bill phillips thread starter macrumors regular

i figured i had to do something there..ok im in there now but how exactly do i partition it. sseems like theres a few options

----------

not sure what to put in partition layout..1partition?

----------

thanks justperry. i think i did it...i put one partiton, then named it, then chose mac extended journal then hit apply...went back to install it and the ssd showed up so i clicked that and now its downloading osx...does this all seem right to u man?

10. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yes. I am pretty positive the partition is automatically set as GUID, you could have checked before in Disk Utility, if you had clicked on the SSD disk it would say what it is partitioned like in the lower part of the window.

I think you're good to go though.

Edit: I am not 100% sure about this but I think you can download a free copy on the App Store, you can check later on, if this is so download it and then you could make a bootable USB stick if you want.

11. bill phillips thread starter macrumors regular

yup i did check before i set it, but your right it was already set to guid. Everything seems to be good. I reformatted my regular hdd in the optical bay and erased that. Just gonna use it for storage and my computers running off the solid state, just did a black magic test, read and write speeds over 500, and startup time round 15 seconds. seems to be working :)...Thanks again man for all your help, you really helped me out a lot.