Making a copy of OS X disc to ext HDD?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mandomex, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Mandomex macrumors newbie

Mandomex

I'm copying the OS X tiger disc to a ext. HDD, I only have a USB external at moment. Making a backup copy for insurance on future disc problems.

Can I copy it to the usb drive and then copy that to a firewire external later and it still work?

If I read correctly our older machines only boot from an external firewire drive?

Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Mandomex thread starter macrumors newbie

Mandomex

Oh, yeah sorry.
    I have created a clone of the dvd through disk utility and is currently on the USB drive.

I'm currently trying to install a working copy of Tiger on the ext. HDD.

I can boot from the USB, it goes through the first few bullets, "intro" and "Licence" but gives the "red octagon with a !" when I reach the "select a destination" part.

So it seems to have cloned properly, but being on a USB HDD it;s not finishing.

I'll look into the above mentioned USB install procedure.

SO since I know it is functioning, can I later transfer this clone to a firewire HDD with no problem.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It might be easier to clone the working Mac OS X installation from your internal HDD to the external HDD via CarbonCopyCloner and then you should be able to boot from the external USB drive.

5. molala macrumors 6502a

If you start up from the Tiger DVD with the external HD connected, you should be able to detect that drive and install MacOS X there. It will become a bootable HD for your Mac.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

According to the OP, that procedure does not work. At least that is my guess reading the following, as there is still some confusion about "I can boot from the USB" part. OP, what do you mean by that?

7. molala macrumors 6502a

I meant the firewire HD, sorry not to be specific. But OP, do you have the firewire HD yet?

8. Mandomex thread starter macrumors newbie

Mandomex

No firewire HDD, unfortunately I currently only have a few USB externals. May run out and get a firewire enclosure for now.

I cloned the OS on the USB external. When I restart computer, hold option to boot from ext usb drive.
    It starts the install process.
    It goes through the first few install bullets, ,
    "intro" and "Licence" but gives the "red octagon with a !" when I reach the "select a destination" part.

It won't let me install to the external disk drive.

I tried from both the dvd and the cloned copy.

9. molala macrumors 6502a

In your case, I would backup the internal HD onto the USB HD using SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner as spinnerlys suggested.

If you can't make a bootable HD, just burn another DVD copy of MacOS X Tiger. You can always startup from that.

10. Mandomex thread starter macrumors newbie

Mandomex

Would volume format on ext drive make a difference?

mac os journal vs ms-dos fs

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes.

To be able to boot from an external HDD with Mac OS X on it, it should be in Mac OS Extended (HFS+) format and if you have a PowerPC Mac, the partition scheme should be set to Apple Partition Map.

Unless you are talking about storing the Installation/Restore DVD onto an external HDD, then I don't know what format is best used, I guess a CD/DVD compatible one should work.

12. Mandomex thread starter macrumors newbie

Mandomex

I get the following message in the select drive destination when installing from actual DVD -
    You cannot install Mac os x on this volume. Mac os x cannot start up from this volume.

Even after I format drive to mac os extended.

I'm using a old IDE 80gb Maxtor 3.5 7400rpm in a generic USB case.(vantec nexstar-3) if that makes a difference.

Back to the drawing board.
    I have the dvd cloned with no problems, it's just not letting me install the os on an external USB
    drive.

I even tried to install the dvd os to my WD MyBook (USB) that I use for my Intel Mini TimeMachine and gives me he same message.

If i decide to get a firewire specific ext HDD for my 10.4 Tiger Power PC ibook machine any suggestions?

Thanks for all the replies.

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you used the right partition scheme? It should be Apple Partition Map if you have a PowerPC Mac.

Select the HDD in Disk Utility and check on the bottom of the Disk Utility window for information about that.

Guide on how to use Disk Utility from the restore / installation DVD.

Format Your Hard Drive Using Disk Utility

Partition Your Hard Drive With Disk Utility

14. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

To boot from a disk it must be Apple Partition Mapped, not just a Master Boot Record drive with an HFS+ partition.

(Unless you're on an Intel Mac and in the wrong section, in which case you must use GUID Partition Table).

15. Mandomex thread starter macrumors newbie

Mandomex

Thanks for all the input,advise and replies. My Disk Utility let me clone a copy of Tiger DVD. I saved it in several places since its only 2.6? GB.

My ibook doesn't agree with my USB ext. HDD's. I'll try it again to install OS on a firewire HDD when I get one in the next couple days.
    By what I have read and been told updated versions of Tiger with Power PC now boot from USB, except mine.

Thanks again.
    Keep u updated.

16. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

Depending on which iBook it is, you may have USB 1. If so, your iBook may totally agree with USB external hard drives, but you're just not giving it the five years it needs. 12Mbps (1.5 Megabytes per second) in full seed mode and 1.5Mbps (0.187 Megabytes per second) will take quite a while. That's the reason the original iPod was Firewire. Steve Jobs didn't have precious years to sync his music.

17. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The problem of the OP is actually, that he tried to install to a disk where an OS is already installed.
    OP: Select Utils->DiskUtil from the top-menu and delete the old partition, then the red "!" disappears and you can continue with the installation.