Making a Digg styled site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by lindahl22, Jun 29, 2009.

1. lindahl22 macrumors member

How can I make a digg styled site where users rate things up or down?? Would Freeway Pro be a good option and how would I start on this project?

Thanks!!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

What are your current skill sets e.g, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, etc.? You're likely over your head if you're wondering if Freeway is an option.

3. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

1. You need to learn a lot about websites before you can code something like Digg.

2. I wouldn't consider competing with Digg unless you have something original in your mind that will make user choose your content over theirs.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Digg.com is years and years of work done by some fairly brilliant programmers. Quite frankly, I'd be surprised if you could mimic digg.com and their success.

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Check out Pligg, an open source Content Management System. It uses PHP/MySQL and users can submit and vote on news articles, etc.

6. lindahl22 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I'm a teenager, know a tiny bit of web development. I don't plan on taking over any of Diggs market share. I want a site where users can rate up or down stuff like new stories, it would start out local... Post thing, comment on it and rate it up or down...

I own Freeway Express and Pro, and think I might not be able to do this idea... but I do love help if you got any... I want to create this so I own it, sorta, I want to admin it, not use something else...

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

So it sounds like you want to do some coding. That goes back to my questions. What do you know (your current skill set)? Freeway is really for designers and not developers. I don't believe it'll be able to do this kind of site. You will want to learn how to do things from a text editor. I do everything in BBEdit myself.

What you're wanting is essentially a blog with the ability to comment and rate things. So start with creating a blog, either from scratch or from an existing web app, that's your choice. Then you can build upon it.