Making a documents folder accessible from anywhere

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by ero87, Jun 18, 2010.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Hi friends,

I'm pretty new to using iDisk and MobileMe, and I have a small question. I have a folder in my Documents folder on my MacBook hard drive that I'd like to access wherever I am. I don't want to have to constantly "add" the updated folder to iDisk, I just want the folder to be dynamic and accessible wherever I am just by logging into MobileMe. Is this possible? How would I do that?

Thanks so much :)

2. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

3. mattmansfield macrumors newbie

Why not copy your folder onto the iDisk and use the iDisk like you would any other external storage (USB disk for example). You can open and save files from the iDisk directly.

Obviously it'll be slower than using your local hard disk, but it works just the same.

4. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

I guess I don't "trust" saving all my files directly on my iDisk. I want my folder to be on my hard drive but also accessible via MobileMe. Is this possible?

5. BroadcastDoc macrumors 6502

BroadcastDoc

This is what I do...check out post #7. Works great!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=613727

6. Flavor macrumors newbie

you could backup the information using the mobileme backup application. the installer should be located on your idisk. it'll essentially keep the files on your harddrive but do daily/weekly/whatever backups to your iDisk for whatever it is you specify.

7. Alfie macrumors member

I agree with BroadcastDoc...if you go to System Preferences>>> mobile me and turn on iDisk syncing, you will have a local copy of your documents. You don't have to worry about staying online while you work because your copy is local. Periodically, a copy is auto-uploaded to mobile me. I have been using this method at work for about six months and have not had a problem.

Alfie

8. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

Thanks for all your suggestions! I'm trying out DropBox, it seems great