Making a Drum Video.......?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Codeseven, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

I would like to start making videos of myself drumming to critique technique and maybe eventually post to Youtube.

I have a simple Sony Bloggie HD pocket video camera mounted on a tripod, a Yamaha mixer with USB (unfortunately it's only 1.1) and a late 08' MacBook Pro. I'm using Audacity to record the audio from the mixer.

Which is best suited to mate the audio and video, iMovie 09 or Garageband 09?

Thanks

2. treestar macrumors 6502

I never knew you could add video in GarageBand. I don't think it's possible.

3. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi Treestar, me neither until someone mentioned it to me. I tried it but it just didn't seem like it was the best method for doing so.

4. cgbier macrumors 6502a

You do the video in iMovie, then bring your edited footage into Garageband to synch it up with your audio output from the mixer and throw away the track with the camera audio.

Why not recording AIFF directly into Garageband?

----------

Oh, and cough out the money to get latest iMovie/Garageband versions from the App Store - it's worth it!

5. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi Cgbier. what does 'record AIFF directly into Garageband' mean? Thanks

6. cgbier macrumors 6502a

AIFF is basically the Apple equivalent to .wav files. In the Garageband properties, check Better or Best Audio Resolution in the Advanced tab. Gives you the best quality.

You know that you can use Garageband as a recording "studio"? Has, IMHO, a nicer, more intuitive, GUI to boot.

7. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, ya, the more I mess around with this stuff the more Garageband seems to be better at this than iMovie 09. The new iMovie 11 that shows the waveforms below the video I bet is much more intuitive than the 09 without.

8. cgbier macrumors 6502a

iMovie11 is cool. It, finally, is somewhat at the same level as iMovie06 was.
    However, as a musician, the audio part is mostlikely more important for you. Hence, use Garageband for the final mix.

9. xStep macrumors 68000

I'd try both to see which allows you to better sync the image to the audio. You'd use the precision editor in iMovie 11.

10. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, a video showing use of the Precision Editor in '11 looked like great feature to have. Unfortunately for me, I don't think '09 has it. Just from what little experience I have with both so far, it doesn't seem either one (Garageband/iMovie '09) are well suited for accurately syncing audio with video. Maybe I should just upgrade to iMovie '11.

I know there's gotta be a bazillion people out there making music videos that do this everyday without a problem. I'd sure like to find out how their doing it but I suppose they are well versed in the use of expensive software.

11. xStep macrumors 68000

Oops, seeing iMovie 11 mentioned so much in this thread I got confused and thought you had it.

There is a precision editor in iMovie 09. I'm not sure what if any improvements they made in iM11. The accuracy is the questionable parameter. Looks to be down to a 1/2 second in iM09. A 1/2 second may not sound like much, but matching an image change to a beat could be troublesome. This is one reason more expensive software is used.

Each clip, audio and video, on the time line has a little gear at the front and the lower part of the clip. Click that and you can choose "Precision Editor" or "Clip Trimmer" for a video track and "Clip Trimmer" for an audio track. Given that, you may be able to make a decent music video.

There are many Youtube videos on the subject. This one talks about laying down beat markers in iMovie 09. Laying them down and moving them is easy, but I couldn't see a way to remove one.

12. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks xStep.

I started reading allot about iMovie HD 6 vs '08 & '09 and how there seems to be quite allot of iM6 still. So I tried it out and sure enough, for my purposes, it's much easier to use. The user interface is much better. I can now sync the audio and video much faster and more accurately.