Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Re: Re: Making a Faster Transition from OS 9 to OS X. . .

Originally posted by MorganX
You mean this isn't the way it's done now as a matter of practice? As far as I can remember there's always been an "upgrade" version of OS for Windows. Clear back to DOS.

No, there is only the full version of OS X and it sells for $129. :mad:

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Originally posted by Shrek
Piracy. Piracy. Piracy. Support Apple as much as possible. :)

On this side of the world we call it friendship, friends share things, you should remeber that from the kindergarden:)

deryk

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2003
Denver
I haven't switched to OSX

My iMac DV is stable as it is and performs at a fairly decent pace. I would have to significantly increase my RAM (I currently have 384MB) to be able to use OSX.

I think OSX is great, just not on my machine. OS9 provides me a stable operating system and speed for all of my computing needs.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: I haven't switched to OSX

Originally posted by deryk
My iMac DV is stable as it is and performs at a fairly decent pace. I would have to significantly increase my RAM (I currently have 384MB) to be able to use OSX.

I think OSX is great, just not on my machine. OS9 provides me a stable operating system and speed for all of my computing needs.

In all reality I don't believe you machine is even considered OSX compatible though you can install it without a hack I believe. Really you can run OSX fine on your iMac just the system will be slow the rest of the apps will run fine with a much increased stability. If you think your machine only crashes once in a great while, after running OSX it will feel like it was crashing all the time.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
It's going to be impossible for any Macs older than some pre-G3 PowerMacs to have OS X, so what's the point counting them? ANd I'm sure there are still LOTS of those around since Macs last so long (my school's lab has 80% Performas). So what we really need to know is how many percent of the people with OS X-compatible machines are still running 9, not the percentage of all Macs as to those with OS X.

irmongoose

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by irmongoose
It's going to be impossible for any Macs older than some pre-G3 PowerMacs to have OS X, so what's the point counting them? ANd I'm sure there are still LOTS of those around since Macs last so long (my school's lab has 80% Performas). So what we really need to know is how many percent of the people with OS X-compatible machines are still running 9, not the percentage of all Macs as to those with OS X.

irmongoose

My point exactly. Also it would be interesting to know what % of non OSX compatible macs are running OSX through a hack.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
actually if MS/pc world and apple did that we would kick some serious butt!

i thinks about 80% of OX copmatible machines are running it.

i can tell you that a pc from four years ago (Celeron 333A) can, with 512MB PC66 SDRAM, run windows XP Pro, i know - i did it on my old pc (god bless my MDD).

imagine the numbers of pcs they would have to count. all of those corporate machines aswell. they all run win2k or NT4. ouch!

we win 1mill to 1. yay!

but really - those running os9 are mac users. therefore they count too. just cause they dont run the latest and greatest doesnt mean we should cut them off. apple - yes. why? economically hard to support two completely different OS's. MS has never had to do that. It's most popular OS's have been for as long as i have been alive (im 17) DOS based. only now with XP do they have to really support DOS based OS's (winME) and NT based OS's (win2k/winXP) on a mass scale.

now ive had a rant at the expense of my fingers (all ten of them) i think i shall round up and say - no matter how you try we have a better OS adoption rate than any other company except ....

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Re: Re: I haven't switched to OSX

Originally posted by MacBandit
In all reality I don't believe you machine is even considered OSX compatible though you can install it without a hack I believe. Really you can run OSX fine on your iMac just the system will be slow the rest of the apps will run fine with a much increased stability. If you think your machine only crashes once in a great while, after running OSX it will feel like it was crashing all the time.

Check the OS X compatibility page at apple.com

You will see that any macintosh with a G3 or G4 chip will run Mac OS X and is supported and considered compatible. My old Beige G3 233 is running 10.2.4 flawlessly as we speak. It came with os 8.0 installed, and it is nearly 6 years old, and is the oldest computer to officially be supported by OS X (although i don't think the floppy drive works, anyway i haven't used that in years).

Even if you have an old 7xxx, 8xxx or 9xxx series powermac you can upgrade it to a 500mhz g4 and hack os x to run on it. You may even be able to do it wiith the 4xxx 5xxx and 6xxx although don't quote me on that.

Anyone got OS X running on a Mac Classic? :p

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Re: I haven't switched to OSX

Originally posted by amnesiac1984
Even if you have an old 7xxx, 8xxx or 9xxx series powermac you can upgrade it to a 500mhz g4 and hack os x to run on it. You may even be able to do it wiith the 4xxx 5xxx and 6xxx although don't quote me on that.

I have a few friends that hav done just that. That is why I said previously that it would be interesting to know the % of non OSX compatible machines that are running OSX through a hack.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
The reason there are so many non-X machines out there is because there are lots and lots of computers still in use from before Apple started having machines boot into OSX.

Apple computers last a very long time. Look at all the SEs or Apple IIes out there.

The fact that so many people haven't 'switched' to OSX isn't because there is anything holding them back. It is because they haven't bought a new computer in a few years. This isn't a bad thing. It simply shows that Apple computers are extremely reliable.

Exactly. Speaking from the Education market standpoint, that's exactly the case. The dang computers just last too long! There's a LOT of older machines out there that are incapable of supporting Jaguar...despite the "freebie" incentive for teachers getting a copy of Jaguar, our Apple representative expressed surprise that the response to that offer didn't go through the roof. Thing is, they don't have the machines to handle OS X. It'll take some time, folks...perhaps 2-3 more years...at least in education, where money right now ain't exactly growin' on trees...

...and from an IT support and service standpoint, we ain't ABOUT to begin expensive memory upgrades, hacks, or what-have-you to make 6 year old machines perform in OS X. I can't think of a worse way to show off a new operating system, especially one as massive as Jaguar. (keep in mind that this scenario speaks to hundreds and hundreds of machines...not just one or two I've got at home that I want to "play" with)

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
Re: Re: I haven't switched to OSX

my school is running 10.2.4 on 600mhz imacs. they feel fine to me :p

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Re: I haven't switched to OSX

Originally posted by daniel77
my school is running 10.2.4 on 600mhz imacs. they feel fine to me :p

My statement for some reason has been pointed back at me a couple times though neither of the cases has prooved it wrong. According to the current hardware requirements put forth by Apple basically all non-beige G3s are OSX compatible.

Yes your iMacs are OSX compatible and should run it just fine though a bit slower then modern hardware. From what I remember the first OSX machine that Apple stated was going to be OSX compatible when the machine was released was the B/W G3. I think every hardware update of every other machine iMacs and otherwise after that were also OSX compatible. Basically the very first iMacs are the only non beige boxes that Apple didn't state as OSX compatible back then. I think the controversy comes in on my statement because I forgot the iMac DV is 400MHz+ and came out after the B/W G3 thus making it OSX compatible.

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
Re: Re: Re: Re: I haven't switched to OSX

My statement for some reason has been pointed back at me a couple times though neither of the cases has prooved it wrong. According to the current hardware requirements put forth by Apple basically all non-beige G3s are OSX compatible.

Yes your iMacs are OSX compatible and should run it just fine though a bit slower then modern hardware. From what I remember the first OSX machine that Apple stated was going to be OSX compatible when the machine was released was the B/W G3. I think every hardware update of every other machine iMacs and otherwise after that were also OSX compatible. Basically the very first iMacs are the only non beige boxes that Apple didn't state as OSX compatible back then. I think the controversy comes in on my statement because I forgot the iMac DV is 400MHz+ and came out after the B/W G3 thus making it OSX compatible.

they do run fine :p

blindman858

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2001
keep in touch with teachers. I got a free copy of jaguar from my teacher. He told me that he gets all kinds of software for freee. He didnt own a mac so i begged him to give me his os x and he agreed. FOr once school paid off lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.