Making a good Password Generator app

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by petisjioweelsha, Oct 6, 2012.

1. petisjioweelsha macrumors member

I really like the password utility from KeePasX
    Is there an easy way to turn it into a stand-alone app?

2. chown33 macrumors 604

I don't understand your question. The binary download is already a stand-alone app.

If there is a specific problem with the binary download, you'll have to explain exactly what the problem is.

3. Ap0ks macrumors 6502

It's open-source so you could potentially (check licences) strip out the code for the generator utility and make it standalone, but it's not the easiest method.

Why not use a password generator app, or just use KeePasX as it is?

4. Platskies macrumors member

Could you use OS X's built-in "Password Assistant" to help generate passwords? This page which shows an example of calling a public framework's (but I think undocumented) API. (and there's this page on how it was done)

5. petisjioweelsha thread starter macrumors member

I just wanted to have a stand-alone app that was of the KeePassX password generation utility. I like the way it look and it has lots of options, I especially like the 'entropy collection' feature.
    I don't know anything about programming.
    I found a decent pw maker on the Mac App Store. I guess I'll just stick with that.

6. firewood macrumors 604

The advantage of stripping the code out and building the app yourself is that you know what code is in the actual app. Very important for the tin-foil-hat types.