Making a grey market iPhone official

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by goacreme, Aug 7, 2008.

1. goacreme macrumors newbie

hi guys,

I have not been used to getting answers From forums but have realized thats the best way to get them..

Anyway.. I have a first yen iPhone which I got unlocked and updated to 1.1.4 using the amazing ziphone tool..

I live on India and recently it was announced that the iPhone 3g was officially going to be launched here.. Now I was wondering if after the launch on my network of the iphone 3g if I will be able to update my iPhone officially as the network provider will e available in the list when I go to update..

Any inputs or ideas ??

Thanks

2. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

You will be able to get an iPhone 3G legitimately from a provider.

If you want to keep your current iPhone, talk to them about getting on a plan with it.

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Since India is a new launch (3G only)
    You can easily forget it!

4. goacreme thread starter macrumors newbie

so what your saying is that because the iPhone 3g is a new launch in India I will MOT be BLs to get my old grey market iPhone legitametly signed on to my network ??

lamina.. In I dia there is no such thing as buying a Phone on a contract like you gave in America and UK.. Here you can buy a phone from the network provider but there is no need to sign as a do tract with them.. Hence in this case as I am an existing vodafone india subscriber I can buy any phone and use it with their nwtwrok as long as it is not locked to another netwrok...

Now vodafone is officially selling the iphon 3g here cone 22nd august.. It is yet not clear on he pricing but one thing is for sure that they will not make us sign a contract for getting the phone.. This means that their network will be officially registered with apple and will be availabe to their ten existing iPhone 3g customers to download new software from the apple store..
    So in that case would their be any way for them to recognize that this is a grey market phone and to restrict my phone from being updated ??

Any idea guys.. ???

5. Cask Guest

Well, if it helps, I thought the same as you when the iPhone 3g was released in Mexico. I had an unlocked 1st gen iPhone and since I was already under contract with Telcel (the official iPhone provider for Mexico) I thought that if I uprgraded to 2.0 and activated it would work with my Telcel SIM Card inside. Well I did, and it didn't work, it said that the SIM was not valid. Just downgraded the phone to 1.1.4, sold it since someone offered me 700USD for it and got the new one. I think that the iPhones are locked to the specific carrier they were sold under, and an AT&T locked iPhone 3G will not work with a Mexican Telcel GSM SIM Card or vice versa. You can always try but I doubt that you'll get results different than mine.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I thought AirTel was contracted for the India release of the 3G iPhone on August 22, '08? :confused:

7. macdaddy01 macrumors member

iPhones sold in Mexico are locked to the carrier Telcel. See this chart for countries that fully unlocked iPhones: Activating 3G iPhone

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Totally cool, thanks MacDaddy01. India is Vodafone and Bharti Airtel, some friendly competition? :cool: