Making a Mac Plus Boot Disk

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by macplus99, Aug 27, 2011.

1. macplus99 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I got Mac Plus recently and it didn't come with a boot disk. I know how to make a boot disk but forgot some steps. Can someone go through them please? I also need a System 6 disk because my Plus will not run System 7.0.1. If you can make a image of a System 6 disk (in .sit or .bin please) and email it to me that would be great or if you have a link to one that would be fine too. I've had problems with boot disks form Apple.com so please no links to Apple's website.

Thanks,
    :apple:MacPlus99:apple:

2. Vivaldi macrumors member

Do you have a disk drive capable of writing 400/800K floppies? Most if not all contemporary floppy drives (oxymoron, I know) are practically limited to 1.44MB support; if you have access to a vintage Mac (any 680x0-based system should do) with a floppy drive capable of using 400/800K disks that you use to create System 6 disks, you should be good to go. Obviously the computer will need an internet connection of sorts or if the computer has a CD drive you could theoretically burn the files to a CD and hope the computer will be able to read the CD-R (which it has for me in the past).

3. macplus99 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can write 400/800K floppies in my Performa 575. I've tried to make many 800k disks for my plus but they wont work. The System Folder doesnt have a "Happy Mac" and I think it needs to be blessed. I need to know how to bless the system folder. Can you help me with that?

4. MacTech68, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

When ever I had that problem, the first thing I'd try is to make a new folder on the disk, then drop the "Finder" and then the "System" suitcase into the closed folder one at a time. Doing that would often reset the System Folder Pointer to a NEW folder. The name of the new folder doesn't matter.

Then, drop them, one at a time, back into the original, closed "System Folder" to reset the System Folder Pointer to it.

If that didn't work then it was usually time to check the disk with Norton v3.2.1, or there may be a second folder with a "Finder" and "System" suitcase inside it.

5. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

How exactly are you making these disks? if your writing them with diskcopy they should be bootable, in fact, just copying the folder should make a bootable disk, try using the images from macintosh garden (or my server, which you can find on mac garden)

6. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

I have the disk images for all OS's up to system 6. PM me