Making a Movie, please help.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cologero, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Cologero macrumors newbie

I am new to Macs and all Im trying to do is make an audio file into a movie file so i can upload it to youtube. I used to use windows movie maker and insert a random clip, then my instrumental i made, then turn off video sound and keep audio sound at full. Is there anyway I can do something similar on MAC because I want to upload my instrumentals to youtube but I cant because they are only audio files.

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Open the App iMovie on your Mac, this is far superior than Windows Movie Maker and once you get used to it you'll love it.

3. Cologero thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried using it but I dont understand it at all. I looked at help center and still cant get it. I dont know how to upload the mp3 or save the file as an mp4. All i want to do is just turn the audio file into an mp4 so I can put it on youtube. With windows movie maker all i had to do was upload a movie sample, upload the audio i wanted and then save as movie file. This imovie is so much more complicated, any help is highly appreciated.

4. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I don't have my mac in front of me right now but to change it from mp3 to mp4 you can Ctrl click the file and hit "Get Info" and where the name is change the mp3 to mp4 and hit enter. As for iMovie load it up and drag the file onto the iMovie screen and that will bring it in. If not use Garage Band and resave it as mp4. With iMovie you can open up a video file or make a new one while implimenting the music simotaneously. Hope this helps, like I said though I don't have my Mac on me.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

iMovie is ideally suitable for this. Don't worry about converting to an mp4, there is no need.

Open up iMovie and create a New Project. Into that project import a video clip or a still photo/picture. To remove/turn down the volume of your video clip, move the mouse over the clip and a little gear wheel symbol appears at the beginning of the clip. Click on that, and select Audio Adjustment, then drag the volume slider to zero.

If you use a still photo/picture you will have to make it show for as long as your music track. Again, move the mouse over the picture and click on the gear wheel. Select Clip Adjustments. Click in the Duration window and enter the time of your music track. Note: 3 minutes 20 seconds needs to be entered like this: 3:20:00

Now to add the music. You can either drag it direct into the Project from a Finder window or from iTunes using the Media browser. Click on the music note symbol on the right hand side of the iMovie window to open that. Either way, if you drop the track on top of your clip/picture it will become a separate track in it's own right, showing as a green bar under the clip. If you drop it in the general area, the whole background turns green, and it becomes a background track, where you add further sound/music on top if you wish.

If you've finished, you can load direct to you YouTube account using the Share menu. Some people have some problems with this, so you can also export to Quicktime, again using the Share menu and upload via the YoutUbe website.