Making a movie with photos, audio and video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JazzyJules, Mar 6, 2012.

1. JazzyJules macrumors newbie

I would like to use iMovie 08 to make a movie (which I can later burn onto DVD using iDVD) that incorporates photos, audio and video clips.

The plan for the movie is to make a simple documentary about my music therapy work at a school. I'd like to begin with a photo slideshow and follow on with my film clips, but all as part of one movie. I'd also like to add narration and at some points quiet background music as additional audio to the project. Is this something anyone has experience in and can help? I've used imovie before, so know how to make video projects, but have no idea how to include the photos or audio.

Thanks for your help!

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You can certainly do all that with iMovie11, but not sure about 08.

For the photos, you can either just insert them from iPhoto via the Media Browser, or just drag them in from Finder. Alternatively, create a Slideshow in iPhoto, export in as a movie and then import into iMovie. That way you could use iPhoto's slideshow themes.

You should have a microphone icon on iMovie's central divider. Click on that and you can do a voiceover. Search for "narration" or "voice over" in iMovie Help.

It'll also be simpler to search for audio in the help for all the various aspects of adding audio to your project. I would recommend upgrading to iMovie11 for it's much better control of audio.

3. JazzyJules thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Dave. If I upgrade to iMovie11 do you know if there will be any risk of losing work/projects created in iMovie08?

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I wouldn't think so as iMovie11 is just an improved version of iMovie08. However, do a backup, just incase.

5. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I upgraded from iMovie '08 to iMovie '11 some time ago (whenever iMovie became available on the Mac App Store). I had a dozen or so projects and everything came through fine. I haven't noticed any bad effects from upgrading. YMMV, of course.