Making a native app for my website

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by doadam, Aug 20, 2013.

1. doadam macrumors newbie

Hey,

I've been playing with xcode and objective-c for the last month and I think I'm ready to develop an app for my website.

Since I've never done that before, I have no idea how to design the code.

I had two general ideas in my mind:

Create a special WEB page for the mobile view. this means my app will just be a web-browser with Tab Bars and I don't really like this idea.
    Actually when doing this, the app is not really needed as there's nothing new and the user is able to view the website exactly the same when using Safari.

Create a special JSON page with plain text (to reduce bandwidth and stuff), the app will build the UI itself given the information from the HTTP server. Right now this sounds like the best idea for me as it uses less bandwidth (=faster), I'm much more flexible as the standard web-browser component is very restrictive.

Has anyone here ever built such an app? I'm fine with the coding (for now), I just need to get the general idea about how I should design the code itself.

Sincerely,
    Adam.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

First, I think you should provide some background on what the website is, what its audience is like, etc. Answers to these should affect the help we provide.

Apple doesn't really like the idea of an app that is just a website-in-disguise either and will probably reject such an app.

Also, think about providing some features in your app that can't be done using just the website. What can it do that makes it better?

You might also want to review the App Review Guidelines at the Dev Center to get a better idea of what is not allowed.

3. doadam thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, in main country the ministry of transport makes a hard life for new drivers to obtain a driving license, my website has something to do about this.

Basically, people write about the road test and spread the truth about the omission done by the testers.

This app will display these in a nice UI, as well as download data of waypoints which will be displayed on a map.

I have another idea for a feature which will only be available through the app. I already have an implementation for this one (as this feature isn't dependant on a DB, I could do that).

That's the two main features I want the app to do. These features already work from normal browser. the question is - what would be the best way to implement them on for an app.