Making a new iTunes Library for work VS. just making new Playlists?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kat.hayes, Jan 4, 2019.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

I use iTunes to store playlists of music that I use on my iPhone and iPad, and I'm thinking of also importing music and sound effects for professional video projects so I can create playlists to use when I am working. I'm thinking of doing this as a second library that I can keep separate from my personal music; I'm looking for any opinions on the pros/cons of making a second iTunes library for my professional stuff vs. just making new playlists in my existing library.

Thanks.

2. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Are you involved in the cloud storage, cross device updating world?
    I'm not, and have different libraries on 4 Macs, 4 ipads/ipods, a Samsung tablet, etc.
    Every once in a while I have to update, or carry a USB stick around, but have no complaints about the method.
    It works, and it's stable. Plus, no "Billy the Mountain" at work.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Two Libraries will work fine. You just launch iTunes while holding down the alt key and then choose your Library. Keeps your work stuff separate from your personal stuff.

4. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use iCloud but do not syncs my music to it.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2019 ---
    Do you just need to quit iTunes to open the other library or is there a way to switch from one to the other while using it? Thanks.

5. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

There's a place in advanced settings where you can change the "iTunes Media folder location" and a change button, but I've never had enough faith in Apple's iTunes programmers to try it on my carefully managed libraries.
    I always quit and restart while holding down the option key.

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

No, you have to quit and re-open.