Making a photo 3d in photoshop/motion (layers staying square)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by budha, May 16, 2009.

1. budha macrumors member

I am attempting to do the 2.5D photo effect. I am cutting out all of the layers and doing clone stamps correctly so where there independent layers of each object I want to make 3D. When I import all layers into motion, they lose their detailed shape around whatever object I did the marquee around and now they simply just do a rough square around the object.

Am I doing something wrong on the export or import process?

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Are you just doing an extract of the object from it's background in photoshop?

If you are then are you saving the final file as a PSD or TARGA? Those file types retain the Alpha channel which you'll need to keep the transparency in Motion.

3. rock6079 macrumors 6502

i actually just started attempting to do this last night after seeing this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFfGhnx_WEg (i think its unbelievably cool!)

i've had some mild luck saving the files as PNG and preserving the transparency. While the edges do not come out too rough they are certainly not as smooth as id like (mostly because i did the cropping quite quickly just to see if i'd be able to do this at all).

have you tried exporting the final render from motion or fc and seeing how it looks? sometimes the files are not produced on the screen at full quality while you're working on them.

id love to see your final result

4. budha thread starter macrumors member

Digital,

I am saving the file as a PSD.

Like the link provided w/ the example, when you see the wedding picture one where the tree and couple are extracted from the background, they are not holding the shape I gave them w/ the marquee tool. They are now just a square holding the background information as well. (I know this is confusing. If you can imagine the wedding couple but with a square around them fitting to their size, but does not keep my original outline I gave them). In photoshop I can move them around just fine and the layers work, but as soon as I send them into motion they are now a box holding the BG info.

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you keep talking about the selection you did with the marquee tool... did you actually duplicate the selection into a new layer? are you using layer masks? have you tried bringing in each layer independently into Motion?

6. budha thread starter macrumors member

After I made my selection, I right clicked and selected layer via cut. It took the selection made it into another layer, and left a transparency where it once was.

I did not use a layer mask (I don't really know what that is), but I tried to bring each layer into motion individually and it was still doing it.

7. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

If you did made your selection another layer with the background still by itself then you are halfway there.

Delete the layer underneath then try dragging just the layer with the selection into Motion. If that works then save the bckgrd as a new layer in another document and drag that in.

If not, then there's something wrong with the process on the Photoshop side.

Let us know how just keeping the selection in the document works. You should just get the selection you want with a transparency around it.