Making a presentation by PowerPoint (via Bootcamp or VMWare) or Keynote?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hajime, Oct 3, 2007.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I was wondering if there are any problems in running PowerPoint presentations on a santa rosa MBP 17" through Bootcamp or VMware. I am using WinXP Professional and I plan to connect the MBP to a projector. Actually, is it better to convert all presentation files from PowerPoint format into Keynote? I noticed that even Keynote can read PowerPoint files, some of the contents are not converted correctly.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

3. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Then is this an imaginary program? ;)

Attached Files:

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I tried Office2004 Test Drive but even I launched it the first time, I got a message saying that it is expired. I followed a link to fix the problem but it dos not work. If I use Powerpoint for Mac, I have to buy it. I have the Windows vesion already. I have seen several Mac users making presentations using PowerPoint rather than Keynote. Are there any reasons for not using Keynote?

5. DaveF macrumors 6502a

No real problems; I've done it. The only problem I encountered was I had a resolution mismatch between my Mac and the projector, so my powerpoint went off the screen. But I'm sure that's easily fixed with a bit of setup testing before your presentation.

6. bassism macrumors member

You could try NeoOffice.
    It's a free, open source office suite, that is compatible with Office formats.

7. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Well you could always use bootcamp, you laptop will be like a windows laptop.

8. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

which resolutions

Thank you all of your for your suggestions. Using Bootcamp is a good idea but the problem is that I have the WinXP installation disc at home. (I am now in living a foreign country.) I only have XP installed on a virtual machine.

I noticed that whenever I try to create a new presentation, Keynote asks for the theme. One of the options is the slide size. To guarantee compatibility with the projectors (in case I have no chance to test it beforehand), is
    1024x768 the one to choose? Tanks again.