Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimplyMac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Hitchin , Hertfordshire , UK
Im after some advice :

I want to turn all my dvds in to mp3v's and put them on a server.

So i bought on eBay a HP XW4400 Workstation and have 2 x 1TB Hard Drives

The Workstation i want to use as the iTunes server has my Mac Mini Server which is currently the iTunes Server sitting on top at the moment. If i moved my iTunes folder to the HP machine would iTunes be able to via RG45 Cables through the time capsule running at full pelt run through a mapped drive.

Now the HP Machine has Microsoft Server 2008 with shared drives with full permissions.

Then the Apple TV's can hopefully work happily through a shared network

Is this do able ???

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Your method might be a little slow. We have a Windows based server which contains over 2TB of media. It sits on the network and streams directly to the ATV's 2 shared accounts..It means we had th download EVERYTHING from the cloud to the servers HDD's but it works well through the ATV units, but it is cabled.

SimplyMac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Hitchin , Hertfordshire , UK
System is all go , Many Thanks

After realising the permissions on my HP XW4400 in Microsoft Server Enterprise 2008 for the Mac Mini Server to access and putting everything from the iTunes folder in there correct places i know have a server holding my library to view via my Apple TV's dotted around the house.

Im quite chuffed with my self having everything doing as it should do

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.