Making a Short Film - Need a list on what to do first

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by smogsy, Jul 23, 2010.

1. smogsy macrumors 6502a

Hi Guys,

im making a short film (horror) using game footage. (left 4 dead game)

i dont't really know where to start.

Do i do the intro first?
    the film?
    what stage should i do the sound?

looking for advice from your experience on where to start

thanks.:cool:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Make a list, or if you're capable, a storyboard, of all the images / shots / takes you want to have. Then sort them in a way, that makes it convenient for you to record them, for example, you have a shot of a car hitting a body and a close up of a face, and the order in which they should appear in that short film is: car > face; but the order they appear in the game (bad example) is: face > car, you shot them that way (face > car).

As I don't know, and many others too, what your intro consists of, shoot it whenever it is convenient or edit it together with already existing footage you edited before.

As I, and others, also don't know where the sound comes from, I take a guess, that you record your own sound. Either record it after "filming" and have made a rough cut, or record it before filming to accommodate the shots you take.

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

First you should do the story. The story should be finished from the beginning. If you can't decide between two endings, write them both.

When the story is done, you can think about how to get the footage you want. What do you need? How can you make it possible?

Get the footage, shoot/record everything you need. Even more to be sure. Don't start and stop recording where you think you want the shot to begin and end. You can better have too much and decide later, than have to few and do it all over again.

Than edit everything together. Get the story you want. See which shots need to be longer etc.

Then add the sound.