Making a steam account - bad if user name and community name are the same?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by ozreth, May 12, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

So Im about to make a steam account. I read that in order to add friends you had them with their account name, but then I read that it is bad if your account name and community name are the same...but what does it matter?

Thanks.

2. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Your actual Steam account name will be an email address. Your community name will be a user definable (and changeable) nickname.

3. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Actually I just signed up and my account name isnt an email address. Hmm...

4. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

OK interesting. Guess things have changed since I created my Steam account back in 2003! :D

5. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Lucky, I would prefer mine to be my email address.

6. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Well it did create problems back then. When people changed their email address they lost the ability to recover their password (because Steam usernames can't be changed). Thankfully at some point they added an additional "Contact Email" option.

7. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I don't see much of a problem. Just verify your email (in preferences), which means to get access to your steam account they also need access to your email.

8. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Huh? I'm talking about how it worked back in 2003 and 2004 when Steam was new and there was no option to change your email address. This has obviously been fixed since then as I just mentioned.

9. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

How would that help? To login all you need is username and pw...right?

10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

ozreth: It doesn't matter if your account name and community name are the same.

And you might as well set it so you don't have to keep entering your password to log in (yes, all you need is your email and password).

11. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Ah thanks, but I ended up making them different anyways, just to be on the safe side.

12. nhexima macrumors member

It's just a good idea in general to keep your login info and your community name separated, just to avoid the possibility of someone hacking your account.

Once you have an account set up, you can give your profile a custom URL (steamcommunity.com/id/username) which is the easiest way to inform and connect friends.