Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xtremjeepn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2014
I posted this a few years ago when I started doing this to my cases. So this I just a quick refresher since I have an iPhone X on the way.

I love how well Apples leather cases fit and function. I don't like how boring and sterile they look and feel. The leather is simply "too new".

Here you can see a brand new Apple leather case for my X next to an Apple iPhone case from my 7+. The 7+ case started out looking exactly like the X case. I've stained several phone and iPad cases this way. Just gives them a much richer texture. (the 7+ Case also has a year of use on it)

24246589208_9a1aa0dd83_c.jpg

I've done several techniques to stain these. I will first just soak it in hot coffee grounds over night and see how good it looks.

I filled up this tray with hot espresso and then a pile of wet ground.

If you don't get the darkness you want. You can also scuff with sand paper and rub down with leather oils to give it that rich leather feeling and look.

37390150644_e6c6e33d11_c.jpg

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
This is dumb. Just buy the leather conditioning wipes. One wipe down and the case will look like the used case you posted

87d0697d-dd41-4b98-a4e6-55dfcd57cd30_1.09887b2094808e1d8740e35c46683d61.jpeg

[doublepost=1509575586][/doublepost]I mean, if you want your case smelling like coffee by all means...

Reactions: ck2875

MjWoNeR

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Sweden
Not sure if I’d do all this to my saddle brown case but it does look very nice.
I’ll probably just apply some car leather impregnation oil.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Can you post a photo once you're done 'conditioning' it?

(No way in hell I'm trying this with my saddle brown I got today though)

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I do t get it. My year old saddle brown case for 7+ looks just like yours. No conditioning needed. Just use it.

Xtremjeepn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2014
I enjoy watching the patina develop. I agree at first its too sterile. I just rub it with my hands alot the first month. lol

I do t get it. My year old saddle brown case for 7+ looks just like yours. No conditioning needed. Just use it.

For some people it works better than others. My hands don't tend to produce a lot of oils so the cases take forever to break in. So really this process is just to speed things along. Since I've been on the iPhone upgrade program I've been getting a new phone a year and, for me, the cases still look barely broken in a year later.

I've noticed that this latest case also seems to have a better water resistant layer on it. I've had to take more time and some acetone to get the protection layer off to get it to start to absorb stain. So these latest cases might not get that worn in look for a very long time.

stooyleown

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2017
philadelphia, pa
For some people it works better than others. My hands don't tend to produce a lot of oils so the cases take forever to break in. So really this process is just to speed things along. Since I've been on the iPhone upgrade program I've been getting a new phone a year and, for me, the cases still look barely broken in a year later.

I've noticed that this latest case also seems to have a better water resistant layer on it. I've had to take more time and some acetone to get the protection layer off to get it to start to absorb stain. So these latest cases might not get that worn in look for a very long time.
So I doubt I’d go the coffee route. I love the look though. Actually going to try something different. Those will match my watch and wallet. Nice job

stooyleown

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2017
philadelphia, pa
@Xtremjeepn any tips on oils or polishes to try? Or have you always used the coffee/espresso way? I watched a couple videos where people used black but I’m leaning towards a brown oil/polish. Any advice outs be great.

Xtremjeepn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2014
@Xtremjeepn any tips on oils or polishes to try? Or have you always used the coffee/espresso way? I watched a couple videos where people used black but I’m leaning towards a brown oil/polish. Any advice outs be great.

Yeah, I’ve used brown and black shoe polish.

Acetone or finger nail polish remover to remove the protective clear finish.

Even lightly scuffed with fine sand paper

Old school leather oils also help.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Yeah, I’ve used brown and black shoe polish.

Acetone or finger nail polish remover to remove the protective clear finish.

Even lightly scuffed with fine sand paper

Old school leather oils also help.

I wanted to thank you. I've been looking for a weathered case, and came up short. I picked up the saddle case, and went to work. Sand paper, Emu Oil, Coconut oil, brown shoe polish, more Emu oil... A few days of working at it. I finally got what I wanted out of it, and I couldn't be happier. Thanks for this post!

Attachments

• IMG_3851.JPG
    IMG_3851.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,153

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Gotta love the Internet. Where everyone NOT interested in something waste their day away posting about it.
New here?

I’m putting these tips in my back pocket for if/when I get a leather case. Since I basically survive on coffee, this entire thing makes me giddy.

belligerent

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2017
I wanted to thank you. I've been looking for a weathered case, and came up short. I picked up the saddle case, and went to work. Sand paper, Emu Oil, Coconut oil, brown shoe polish, more Emu oil... A few days of working at it. I finally got what I wanted out of it, and I couldn't be happier. Thanks for this post!

Looks great! I did a coat of coconut oil and a coat of brown shoe polish. Similar results. But now my case feels slightly oily and smells like the shoe polish. Did that happen with yours and if so, did it go away after using it for a bit?

Edit: Nvm, I worked it a little more with a cloth to remove the excess and it's smooth and relatively smell free now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daremo

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2011
^ Won't the shoe polish stain your hands or garments when heated or getting wet?

belligerent

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2017
^ Won't the shoe polish stain your hands or garments when heated or getting wet?
Not sure about getting wet but not with regular use. I used a small amount and really worked it with a white cotton shirt until it was free of excess polish, smooth and dry. I wouldn’t recommend it because of the smell. But maybe that’s my brand of shoe polish or maybe it will go away in a few days. I would recommend actual leather oils because the coconut oil will spoil in a year or two but I love the new look and I’m so happy I did it.

Reactions: ducatiti
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.