Making a Wi-Fi Hot Spot - How to?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by iphoneworld, Aug 15, 2008.

1. iphoneworld macrumors newbie

Currently, I leave my wifi wide open to everyone that wants to use it in my building. I really don't care that people aren't paying and I'd like to encourage more people to share.

But, I would like to promote my blog, too, so I was wondering if there's a way to force the home page of my blog once users access my wifi much like any wifi hotspot you might run into in an airport or some coffee shops.

To be clear, all I want is my blog's home page to come up, then they can go wherever they want. I don't want any fees or anything like that.

Any ideas on creating a wi-fi hotspot such as this? I have a linksys wireless router, an iMac and Macbook if hardware is important for this discussion.

Thanks.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Are you really sure you want to do that?

Illegal activities on your network could be bad news for you.

3. eftrix macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

you might be able to do it but it's nothing got to do with hardware, it's got to do with software, if you do a few google searches then you should get some router or wi-fi software, I don't know you really need to search more, you'd probably need to ask someone who is in a business that uses this preserure! Good luck

4. eftrix macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

it's not actually illegal if you have cleared it up with your ISP so ask them first, a d also if you don't have unlimited bandwidth then you'll be left with really low speeds!!

5. THOM152 macrumors newbie

I agree you are playing with fire. What if someone or persons use it rather than there own to download movies on P2P etc?? You could end up having problems especially if it is the wrong type of movie!!

6. iphoneworld thread starter macrumors newbie

Understood

I understood the ramifications above.

Still looking for a solution. Googling hasn't helped - that's why I'm here.

7. bartelby macrumors Core

I meant if someone was running scam/ fraud activities or uploading/downloading images, of an illegal nature, on his network.

8. eftrix macrumors member

Yeah but if you ask your ISP about limited sharing I think it is ok, I know that you can do it with my isp if you are a business!

9. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

i would advice you use opendns which is at opendns.org which will allow you to block illegal sites and many other things that i think will help you

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well I believe some routers have HotSpot built in, so say you have router that support Boingo hotspots and allow for the authentications and everything.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mate, take it from me and get some security on it. The reason I've been missing from here for so long is a direct result of illegal activities occurring on my wireless network, unbeknownst to me. I was close to jail and having my name run through the mud. Don't share your private network.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

If you plan to continue having the open hotspot and you figure out how to put the splash page up, the splash page should require a click-through legal disclaimer and acceptance of responsibility by the user, and your router should have maximum logging turned on.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

After reading Mad Jew's story, scratch the HotSpot idea or spend $5000 and get a industrial-grade hardware website filter.

14. x Danny macrumors member

While it's a pretty nice idea you really need to consider the serious issues first.

15. iphoneworld thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Good advice all around.. I guess I won't set it up, ultimately. Too bad - I'd rather share with my fellow man but I don't want to get taken advantage of either.