Making a windows recovery USB similar to lion recovery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fullfloridiancj, Oct 1, 2011.

1. fullfloridiancj macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just bought parallel 7 and am buying student addition of windows 7 professional. I know you can place it on a USB but can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to create a recovery USB for windows 7 I am not getting an instalation cd just an access code thanks

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You'll have to download the ISO from your school website, from that, you can burn the ISO to a thumb drive or DVD. There isn't much step by step to be done. If you know how to burn a disc from an .iso file, you have all the knowledge you need. If you don't google is your friend, it's quite easy.

3. fullfloridiancj thread starter macrumors regular

i have the option of downloading windows of 3 files of exe or one file of ios. Can someone explain what this means should I download all of it before i lose the web page?

4. fullfloridiancj thread starter macrumors regular

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

A .iso file(as a simple google search would've told you.) is a disc image file. It's basically instructions for a disc burner(a recipe, so to speak) so that when you use a disc burning software, it knows what to do to turn a blank DVD into a windows 7 DVD.

Download the .iso, and use burning software to burn the .iso to disc. Do not copy paste the file onto a DVD or burn a data DVD containing the .iso, that will do nothing useful.

Start by downloading it, we'll get you through this easily.

6. fullfloridiancj thread starter macrumors regular

please explain

the problem is every time you try to put an operating system like lion recovery or windows7 on a usb. the computer reformats it, clears, or doesn't acknowledge it. I tried placing my newly purchases windows pro7upgraedu64iso on a 8 gig thumb drive that was fat 32 formatted. and the next time i plugged it in mac os10 did not acknowledge the thumb drive in the finder. I decided to create 2 partitions one for mac os and a fat 32 to see if the windows installation would appear on either operating system. It did not appear on either. On windows I had to manually go into dos mode and clean the drive for it to be recognized and on mac i needed disk utility. So after I format the disk in any partition should I just drag and drop everything into a usb and forte about it. if I ever had a problem how would I get windows to reboot? I have no idea if i am doing this right

To be honest the same thing happen to my os10 lion recovery disk after it is downloaded mac os does not recognize the thumb disk

btw I am using parallel 7 and not bootcamp for my windows 7 instillation on mac

any info is helpful Thank you

7. mdgm macrumors 6502a

I don't think this'll work on a Mac that has an optical drive. Macs shipped without an optical drive have the option in BootCamp Assistant to prepare a USB key from an ISO to install Windows 7 that will only work with such a Mac.

8. fullfloridiancj thread starter macrumors regular

Oh come on this mac book pro is 3 grand it cant do something stupid like that

9. fullfloridiancj thread starter macrumors regular

hey

thanks everyone, just wanted to say i set up the usb drive in fat 32 using windows 7 now the programs can be seen on both mac and windows. I deleted the windows 7 instillation files in the recycling bin and noticed that the windows hard drive space dropped from 63 to52. I tried pc cleaner but the gigs didn't return anyway to clear this off my hard drive? I only have 240 on my mac and after installing windows and ubuntu I'm down to 200 :( and i really have nothing else on it but pages