Making a wireless, huge, "iPod" for your home stereo

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by flanamac, Mar 5, 2009.

1. flanamac macrumors 6502

Not sure if many others are doing this, but I did the following and perhaps could open possibilities for others.

We have an iMac where all our external hard drives are connected and contain iTunes music in total.

You know how you can buy the stereo mini plug to RCA left and right connectors to connect an iPod to your stereo at home?

Well, I thought, how about instead of plugging the iPod into the stereo, why don't I just plug my MB Pro into the stereo and just create an iTunes library that connects via shared networks to my iMac external hard drive music.

Well, it works and it is so fantastic because now I can take my MB Pro (a.k.a. huge "iPod," and access any and every song from our external hard drive then play on any stereo with RCA connectors.

Enjoy...

2. Koronis macrumors member

Koronis

The airport express has an audio out jack, and can be set as a speaker in iTunes on your iMac. This might be a less bulky /more permanent way to get music to your stereo. If you have an iPod touch or iphone you can also remote control the songs from within the same wireless network.

However, that set up sounds pretty handy, especially because you don't need to buy anything else.

3. flanamac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I was aware of the express output, but with my arrangment and length of cords, etc..., this setup works great; but thanks for the suggestion and I may change later.

What I am really getting kick out of is having a true home network where I can control my iMac and all drives attached thereto from my MBPro so I don't have to move the drives, nor save to my MBPro hard disk, which I consider premium drive real estate.

Of course, reading wirelessly over the network, then from an external drive takes more time, but I like the rather clean setup since this way the iMac acts almost like a true server for itself and the MB Pro, so if I need to take my MB Pro out, there is no detaching hard drives, etc... and when I return, it is back to normal via wireless. My MB Pro automatically connects to the iMac server as soon as it connects to the Airport signal each time.

I am really diggin' this stuff and the best part was that it was so intuitive and easy to setup once you enable file sharing etc.... on both computers and supply the network names and passwords (all my stuff is password protected and you have to know the network name as well to connect via WPA).