Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
I have a finished artwork design that I made in GIMP. My printing company needs the file in PDF or AI format, but GIMP doesn't have any of these options.

What would be the best way to convert them in any of those file types without any loss of quality?

I can save my GIMP files in EPS, PNG, PSD, Jpeg, GIF, etc.

What programs would help me?

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
I have a finished artwork design that I made in GIMP. My printing company needs the file in PDF or AI format, but GIMP doesn't have any of these options.

What would be the best way to convert them in any of those file types without any loss of quality?

I can save my GIMP files in EPS, PNG, PSD, Jpeg, GIF, etc.

What programs would help me?

I'm not too familiar with GIMP, but since preparing art files for print is my job I could probably help you out. If they're looking for an AI file then an EPS should work just fine for them. That being said it would be a very good idea to give them a call and talk to their production artist about the art requirements. When I'm prepping artwork there's a lot more to getting quality results then just the file type. It could save you a lot of time, money, and will help a great deal with the final product. Hope this helps.

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
This should work:
Export your artwork as eps, then open it in Preview. It should convert it into a PDF that you can save.

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
I'm not too familiar with GIMP, but since preparing art files for print is my job I could probably help you out. If they're looking for an AI file then an EPS should work just fine for them. That being said it would be a very good idea to give them a call and talk to their production artist about the art requirements. When I'm prepping artwork there's a lot more to getting quality results then just the file type. It could save you a lot of time, money, and will help a great deal with the final product. Hope this helps.

Well I'll be getting samples anyways, so that won't be of worry. They said they couldn't accept EPS for some reason, but I managed to convert a PNG file to PDF via Inkscape. I can't noticeably tell any loss of quality, so I think that's my best bet, at least for now.

----------

This should work:
Export your artwork as eps, then open it in Preview. It should convert it into a PDF that you can save.

Wow, you could not have nailed it any better.

Thanks a billion, that's just about the quickest and most quality-saving way of doing it!

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
When I'm prepping artwork there's a lot more to getting quality results then just the file type. It could save you a lot of time, money, and will help a great deal with the final product. Hope this helps.

Spot on. I have been in the industry 38 years as a pressman and have been slowly learning design over the last several years. Talk to your printer as they are going to want specific job options on any PDF or AI file you supply them. One of the first thing my prepress people taught me. They even created me a job options file so when I export a file over to a PDF or AI format I can include the options file with the export and it gives prepress the exact final result they require. All prepress has to do then is layout the files for print. Not sure if this will work with GIMP but it works spot on with Adobe products, Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign.

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Spot on. I have been in the industry 38 years as a pressman and have been slowly learning design over the last several years. Talk to your printer as they are going to want specific job options on any PDF or AI file you supply them. One of the first thing my prepress people taught me. They even created me a job options file so when I export a file over to a PDF or AI format I can include the options file with the export and it gives prepress the exact final result they require. All prepress has to do then is layout the files for print. Not sure if this will work with GIMP but it works spot on with Adobe products, Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign.

Well what else can I do apart from saving it in a PDF file? There aren't really any color options... or any options at all for that matter. Not that I know of at least. I basically just made a design, made it into PDF file, and sent it to them. The good this is that I'm getting sample units though.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Well what else can I do apart from saving it in a PDF file? There aren't really any color options... or any options at all for that matter. Not that I know of at least. I basically just made a design, made it into PDF file, and sent it to them. The good this is that I'm getting sample units though.

You can ask prepress at the printers you are using. They will be able to give you the specifics they require to give you the best quality print. I work for a mid size printer in the 40" sheetfed size. Our prepress has specific options they like done to the PDF. But we still get the odd customer who does not have the knowledge to send proper files or ask for proper instructions and I can tell right away when it gets on the press. It usually degrades the job. Each prepress will be different depending on the equipment they have. We use Fuji products in our prepress and Komori printing presses. As I stated earlier, check with prepress, they will be your best source for info. You are by no means doing anything wrong, but if I can get you a better quality print job, you or your customer will better appreciate the end result. Been a journeyman in the trade for a long time and have seen the bad, when just a couple of the right questions to the right people can make it so much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.