Making an app

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by tvinshan, Aug 30, 2013.

1. tvinshan macrumors newbie

Again, Im new to programming so please bear with me.

I'm a high school teacher in physics, and want to make an app with facts about physics like equations and stuff for my class. It should be like this: they press the screen in the app and a fact about temperature scale comes up, and then they press the screen again and another facts about something else about physics comes up and etc.

When I open Xcode, should I choose Single View App. or Page-Based App. The reason I ask this is that if I choose Page-Based App. I don't have the storyboard option.

So I started to choose the Single View App. Which of the Objects should I choose? Should I choose the one called Navigation Controller in Object? And how do I add more screens with facts? Can I just copy and past screens and write down facts on each and then link them to each other with the action forwarder?

Regards :)

2. larswik macrumors 68000

Sounds like from what you are saying you have no experience in programming. From personal experience your are heading towards a failed end result. If you really want to learn to program then start by reading a basic programming book in C for instance and learn programming first and not trying to learn by first building this project.

Here's why. Since you don't know how to program the only way you can do this is by asking people for the code or trying to find examples online that you can copy and paste in to your project as you Frankenstein your app together.

When I started I also wanted an app and wanted to start in the middle and got frustrated and quit. Only after I went to the basics of C and learned programming over the course of a year was I able to reach my goals and make an app.

When I asked questions about code on this forum no one ever gave me the code I needed. They wanted me to learn and think about the problem and come up with the answer. So they showed me how to fish instead of giving me fish so to speak.

Ask your self this, do you want to be a programmer or do you want an app? if you want an app then hire someone to help you make the app. If you want to be a programmer then start with the basics, which I think start with C. Forget about GUI interfaces and start with the basics.

That's my 2 cents since I was in your place 3 years ago.

3. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

I agree with larswik. It sounds to me like you are getting way ahead of yourself.

If your end goal is an app, not learning to develop, I bet there are some kids in your school who are competent iOS developers. See if you can set up some sort of internship with them, where they get a recommendation from you, and perhaps some sort of credit, in exchange for partnering with you to develop your app.

Software development is a skilled trade. It takes a big investment of time to be productive. If you've never programmed before, you should expect to spend at least 6 months of pretty intense study before you're going to be able to accomplish much. A math and science background will certainly help, but still there is a great deal to learn.

4. tvinshan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Hey, thanks for the reply, I understand what you are saying, and you might be right. Thought with the new storyboard and with such an "easy" app it would be like copy/paste. I thought this to be a good way of getting my students to be more interested and in to the study and basics in physics, a little more fun. Still thinks. I'll see what I can come up with then. I am not going to learn Ojb. C and Xcode, got too many hints about how comprehensive it will be. Anyway maybe it's something I will take up in the school board to make some kind of a template for other teachers to use aswell.

Thank you for your replies :)