Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GlengarryX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
I confess, I'm a Mac Dummy, or an iDunce, if you will. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have an iMac G5 - CPU Speed 1.8 GHz, 2 GB of RAM - and I am trying to make it run as fast and efficiently as possible. It doesn't run as quickly as it used to. If anyone would be kind enough to pass along some tips and/or information regarding what I can do to kick this computer in the iButt, I would greatly appreciate it. I know I can clean / delete stuff out of somewhere, but heck, I have no idea where to begin.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobis, you're my only hope.

Any and all tips would be helpful.

Thank you kindly,

GlengarryX

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
Hard to go past a clean re-install of the system, especially if you choose the options section and tell it not to install anything you don't need - like language translations, printer drivers etc.

If that's not a feasible option, you can do relatively straightforward stuff using an app like Onyx that will clean out redundant cache files, repair permissions, clean out old log files etc.

And then there's a quick check of System Preferences > Accounts : Login Items to see what stuff is being loaded at startup that you may no longer need - iTunes and Adobe both install hidden apps that run in the background for example.

I'd try that kind of simple stuff first.

If it's still clogalicious after that, you can check Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor to see what processes are running that are sucking up resources - this can be a bit cryptic though, so before you kill anything, it might pay to check back here for ideas about what is vital and what isn't

Sometimes making a new user account will do it too - leaving behind all the built up preference files and caches and application support files, and just copying across the stuff you really need - that depends a bit though on the level of personalisation you've got going on in your current account as to whether or not that's a viable option.

GlengarryX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Thanks Frank!

A simple solution. I appreciate the response.

Take care,

GlengarryX

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.