Making an Interactive Map - Where to start

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by potta123, Oct 5, 2010.

1. potta123 macrumors newbie

Bonjour, ive used RapidWeaver to setup a couple of sites for local businesses with some success and now looking to add an interactive map/jpeg so that each area can be scrolled over/clicked on to direct to other pages.

Any advise appreciated on what is required to achieve this and whether this can be done in RW or will i need dreamweaver/photoshop.
    With Thanks

2. lgmac macrumors newbie

Dreamweaver and hot spots

I manage a small website for a local town. The town office provided scanned images of tax maps that I converted to pdf files. Next I created an index in Photoshop, with heavy colored lines (layers) showing the boundaries of each pdf file. The index didn't provide enough area to enter a number in each section, so I had to put my index numbers around the outside of the map and point to the appropriate area inside the map. Next I created a hot spot over each number, so when a user places the courser over the number, it turns into a little hand, indicating a down load pdf file is available. I also provided brief instructions on the page, telling surfers how to download the appropriate tax map. Hope this helps and good luck.

3. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

You may want to look into the Google Maps API's.

4. potta123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies so far, its more of a photo of the product rather than a geographical map so its sounds like i need to brush up on photoshop layers - how to make different layers clickable. hmmmm