Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2016
dc
After searching, it does not appear that I can create a second user account on my iPad? Is that correct?

Many people can be using my iPad for different tasks and I don’t want them to have access to my emails, notes, files folder. Is there a way I can either lock the mail app or a work around for putting the iPad in a “public” mode?

I am thinking I will have to disconnect my iCloud account, but then how will I get apps from the App Store?

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
Tim wants every family to buy 2, 3, 4 etc. so one user per Pad. Don't like it? Too bad says Tim.

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2016
dc
Thanks for the responses, so for a work around to make this a “public” iPad is there a way to create a whole new iCloud account so files and emails aren’t linked and just not use it as my personal iPad?

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Just buy a cheap used iPad and leave it as the public iPad. It doesn‘t cost “that” much and then there’s never any conflict about who needs the iPad when.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks for the responses, so for a work around to make this a “public” iPad is there a way to create a whole new iCloud account so files and emails aren’t linked and just not use it as my personal iPad?
Sure. I have a separate iCloud account for the iPad that I use for beta testing. It's on a Family Share under my main iCloud account so I have access to paid apps (just not in-app purchases).

Before Family Sharing was an option, the household used my account for iTunes and their own for iCloud.
[automerge]1578601166[/automerge]
Just buy a cheap used iPad and leave it as the public iPad. It doesn‘t cost “that” much and then there’s never any conflict about who needs the iPad when.
Lol, not if there are multiple kids and only one shared iPad. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.