making an M2TS file for festival projection

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Stephen Vilash, May 3, 2013.

1. Stephen Vilash macrumors newbie

we need to provide a festival venue with an .m2ts file for digital projection.

the workflow for making a Bluray is something we've done in the past.
    we bring in the Pro Res files to Compressor, make an elementary stream .m2v + AC3 sound, bring that together to a .ts file in MPEG Streamclip and its ready for burning with Toast.

however, i am confused about the workflow for an .m2ts file with these requirements:

<i>Used video codec should be 100% compatible with the H264 codec and specifications used for blu ray disc.
    • H264 Format
    • Main Profile, level 4.1
    • Maximum Video bitrate of 40 Mbit/s
    • Maximum AV bitrate (combined audio and visual bitrate) of 48 Mbits
    • Can be VBR or CBR bitrate

Used audio codec should be 100% compatible with the Dolby codec or PCM codec and specifications used for blu ray disc.
    • Linear PCM (LPCM) up to 8 channels (7.1), uncompressed audio
    • Maximum bitrate of 27Mbit/s
    • However: maximum AV bitrate (combined audio and visual bitrate) of 48 Mbits</i>

I am assuming i should make a Transport Stream of the Pro Res video, but what settings are needed in Compressor to have h264? also, what's the best compressor setting for LPCM sound file?

Once i have these, should I use MPEG Stremclip again to bring them to one file?
    i only see the possibility to get files with a .ts extension, not an .m2ts

any professional help would be much appreciated!

2. JasonA macrumors member

If you're already set up to create blu-rays, just author a blu-ray as you normally would for a disc. The blu-ray will contain an M2TS file of your material. Per the rules you stated, make sure the video is encoded using h.264 and not MPEG2 or VC-1. When finished, go to the BDMV folder > STREAM > and dig out the m2ts file. Voila!

3. Stephen Vilash thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply, Jason. I discovered that in the meantime, so that mystery is solved :)

but I don't see how I can make an H264 compression with PCM sound within Compressor.

should i still go for an elementary stream? or chose transport stream instead?

4. JasonA macrumors member

Are you using Compressor to author the Blu-ray? Start with the blu-ray template, delete the Dolby AC-3 setting, and replace it with either AIFF or WAV from the Audio Formats folder.