Making Bootable Backup/Clone w/ Multiple Users

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Catch Them, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Catch Them macrumors regular

I have Tiger 10.4.10 running on a MBP 2.2Ghz mid-2007
    It has 3 user accounts (2 admins and 1 controlled user.)

I want to clone the drive and set up exactly as is and make it also bootable.

Ive looked over CCC and SuperDuper 2.5 the Free/Trial version;
    theyre straight forward it seems, but not sure which option to choose to make it a full back up with all the user accounts the way they are make it also bootable.

does anyone have a recommendation for this?
    which program would work better CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (2.5 Free/Trial); and what settings would I want to enable and use to get it like it is now on this second drive.

as this is a first time for me cloning over a Mac OS and Users.

thanks alot in advanced!
    :D:D:D:D

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Both will make a complete bootable clone of your harddrive, including all user accounts. You can just use the default settings.

It's a matter of preference. I prefer the SD! UI, and SD! apparently makes a better byte-for-byte copy, but I've never had a problem with creating bootable clones with either CCC or SD. I had to use CCC for a few months until SD! was made compatible with Leopard (doesn't concern you with Tiger), but went back once it was updated.

3. Catch Them thread starter macrumors regular

thanks!!!

thanks. i was just confused with their terms (sandbox etc) but i believe i got it.

essentially, im backing up to a 250GB HDD (3.5 size drive) w/ two partitions, one for the 10.4.10 current system and second partition for Leopard back or perhaps Time Machine. (both partitions are at 160GB (for the 232GB formatting)

I want to keep the 10.4.10 installation on the MBP, but want to upgrade it to the latest Leopard, this 10.4.10 install has been practically the same since a year ago and havent had issue with it, so a Leopard Upgrade should be goo to go?
    AS i wanted to keep some settings/preferences and applications etcin-tact, but just run leopard.

2) if i have my Bootable clone on the 250 and a time machine partition on that same drive, is that safe or is it best to get a separate drive for that?

thanks again

4. Catch Them thread starter macrumors regular

one other question I had, someone said i should do an archive and install instead of a direct upgrade to leopard.

is that the preferred way to go or can a direct upgrade from 10.4.10 do the trick?

thanks!