making bootable disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chihiro, Sep 30, 2008.

1. chihiro macrumors regular

because i have never made a bootable disk before can you please expalne me how to do it.(I have 500GB and i want to back up my work)

After I create 2 volumes how I place my files and folders.
    I mean is it on one place that i put them or separate:the bootabe part and the other part is only personal files,or?
    where do i put OS X and how do I make it bootable(does that includes my personal files?)?
    do I put any other softwares on the site where is the OS X ,please?
    if no,where do I copy all the other applications the I use such as adobe cs3?

I am planing to use the Superduper appl.

thank you

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

First off you do not need to create two partitions if you simply want to use the external drive as a backup drive. That is fine to do, but you don't need to.

If you do partition it make sure that one partition is roughly the same size as the capacity as the boot drive you want to backup- less can cause problems down the road with capacity and more is a waste of space. Then just start up SuperDuper, select the boot drive as the "Source" and the partition you want to use to back it up as the "Destination" and continue. The entire drive will be cloned to the partition and will be usable as a boot drive, assuming a couple of notes below are true. BTW- if you are using the unpaid version of SuperDuper, each time you run it, it will erase your backup and start all over again. If you pay the registration fee, future backups will be much quicker as it will only copy items that have been added to or changed since the last backup. Or you can use Carbon Copy Cloner to do the same thing free.

Now the notes- since you did not say what kind of Mac you have, in order for the external to be bootable it must:

1. Be a FireWire connected drive to boot from PowerPC based Macs. Intel based Macs will boot from either a FireWire connected drive OR a USB connected drive.

2. The drive must be formatted with have an APM (Apple Partition Map) for the partitioning scheme if it is to boot from a PowerPC Based Mac. Intels need a GUID partition map. See Disk Utility's help screen for partition type informaton.

3. chihiro thread starter macrumors regular

hi thanks for the useful info

just a quick question:
    from where i can check the size of the capacity that i have to put on the bootable disk.? caz you said:

4. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Check out SuperDuper! - it's amazing for backups. It makes bootable backups as well, and copies only files that have changed since the last backup, so that's done in a couple of minutes then...

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Ummmm.... yeah.... that is why the OP said he was planning on using SuperDuper and then I discussed some of it's usage including incremental backups in the registered version.........

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

A couple of ways- but the simplest is to click the hard drive icon on the desktop once to select it, then select "Get Info" in the File menu.

When the info pops up, just look at the number in the "Capacity" field. That is the number you want to use- not the "Available" or "Used" fields.

7. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

oh, sorry. won't happen again.