Making calls on iPhone using Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tmanto02, Jul 12, 2016.

1. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

hi guy,

Just recently bought an Apple Watch and love it!

Question though - Can you make phone calls on your iPhone using the Aplle Watch? My phone is regularly in my jacket pocket while wearing earphones with a mic, so I'd love to be able to initiate calls on my iPhone from my watch.

Cheers

2. azfalcons Suspended

azfalcons

Yes you can and to me is sounds just as clear

3. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

(I don't have the answer, but I want to make sure the question is clear)

iPhone in jacket pocket, using wired earphones with a mic;

Initiate a call on the Watch;

Does the call come through on the phone's wired earphones, or on the watch's speaker?

4. azfalcons Suspended

azfalcons

I don't use earphones at all. I just talk to it like normal. Normally I'm in the car so I talk while I drive

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You will need to (and should) use your car's BT system. The :apple:Watch speaker will not be loud enough to hear over background road noise. Also you would need to hold the mic up near your mouth to be heard removing your hand off the steering wheel and causing a distracted unsafe driving condition.

6. azfalcons Suspended

azfalcons

You need thcan car for sound but you don't need a mic or to hold it up. It works just fine for me with hand on the wheel

7. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

The call comes through the Apple Watch rather than my wired headphones w/ mic.

8. ohms12 macrumors 6502

ohms12

I use the cars built in bluetooth for calls. Can't imagine i'd hear anything from the watch over my engine noise!

9. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Doesn't work, I tried. When you initiate a call on the Watch, it just activates the Watch speaker. It doesn't give you an option to follow up the call with the iPhone.

10. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Thanks guys. Absolutely not at all related to the OP's question.

That's what I thought, and it's why I wanted to make sure others were understanding exactly what you were asking.

Maybe it's something Apple can add later. I'm trying to think of the interaction needed on the watch, like adding a Force Press option or something. As it is now, where the AW takes priority, it lines up with how iCloud-connected devices handle calls and messages -- whichever device you're using at the moment takes precedence over the others.

Now that I think about it, if the AW can start a call that goes through the iPhone, maybe it should also be able to route a call through your Mac if you want. Hm. The "what if" stuff can get complicated in a hurry.

11. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

It's so silly considering you can handoff a received phone call once connected!

12. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

For now, use Siri through the mic to make the call. I think it should work fine.

13. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

smart idea :eek: