Making calls to contacts on an iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brsboarder, Oct 18, 2011.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

Any way without using a different program to be able to dial a contacts name with the number pad where 2 is abc, 3 def etc, or do I really have to scroll through my contacts to call them?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Don't think so. Try tapping on the alphabet column on the right side for the contact's last name to go straight to that section, you can also add particular contacts to the Favorites list.

Or use Siri -- "call Fred Smith work"

3. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

so many simple but annoying things I need to get used to. This should be so easy to do. My 4 year old phone does it

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

One other option -- tapping the top-center of the screen on the contacts list shows the search field, as you type letters the matching contacts show up thereby eliminating scrolling (unless you have hundreds of contacts with similar names).

I can't speak to why what you're used to isn't an option, if I'd been doing that for years I'd probably find it annoying to change my habits as well. If it helps, you can leave feedback to Apple here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html (whether it'll do any good is another matter entirely... :D )

5. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks deedawg, didn't know about the tapping of the screen. that'll do

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I know you said "no apps," but seriously, the app named Dialvetica does exactly what you want.

I like it.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

In addition to the suggestions above, you can use the Spotlight. From the home screen, click the Home button again and it will bring up "Search iPhone". Type in a name and it will pull up the contacts (as well as emails, appointments, text messages, etc.) for that person. Touch their name to dial.

But voice dialing is great too, I have iPhone 4 so no Siri but I dial the same way - press/hold home button, "Voice Control" comes up, wait for the tone, and say "Call Bill Smith on his mobile". Very handy!