Making copies of partitions on other drives

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benbridle38, Mar 23, 2009.

1. benbridle38 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Basicly i thought the best way to explain my hard drive layout is with a picture.
    [​IMG]

So thats how its layed out, basicly i want my macbook to be backed up, but then i also want to have certain things stored off the laptop, but i dont want to lose them through a drive faliure.

So i want a 250GB partition from one drive to be completly backed up by another 250gb drive. How could i do this? RAID? or some sort of mirror thing? or can u get a back up program that will automatic do it daily? Does time machine do this kind of thing?

I aslo dont mind if they are both plugged into the macbook through cables, or the 250gb drive in connected to the 1tb drive, which is then connected to the macbook, like a daisychain?

Any help will be most apreciatied, thanks

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Create a mirrored raid set using Disk Utility and drag each 250Gb volume into the set. In theory.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Search for an app to sync files
    on macupdate.com or versiontracker.com

Or search even here. I would say hundreds of threads on this.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Just use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to clone the partition to the other drive.

Either program will do scheduled incremental item backups automatically on any time interval you want just fine from hourly to monthly or at a particular time of day-- CCC will do it free, but doing it with SD will require the $27.95 license to use the scheduling feature.

6. benbridle38 thread starter macrumors newbie

thankyou, all these programs seem really good. Im still waiting on delivery of the caddy for the 1tb drive, so will try it out then that arrives.

Will it still work if both drives are not always plugged in at the same time? obviously i know it wont back up whilst only 1 is plugged in. but can u access files on the primary drive, if the backup isnt plugged in if your using a raid configuration?

When you say what is my budget, what do u mean? i already have the drives, and dont really want to pay for software..

thanks