Making Dropbox and OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive) play nice

smileman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
So I was really excited to see Office released for the iPad. No more dragging my 15" MBPr home with me on the bike in case I need to do some work at home or early morning. Just hop on the iPad.

But all my files are in Dropbox, which Office for the iPad can't easily access.

I was wondering if there might be a way to house either my Dropbox folder inside my OneDrive folder, or vice versa? Has anyone tried this? I gave it a go earlier and got errors from OneDrive about my folder path being too long.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
You can check out a free app called IFTTT that will accomplish this easily and keep everything in sync all from your iPad, here's a screen from the application.

smileman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Unfortunately this does not appear to be working.

I tried two different recipes and neither is working. I am putting files in the new public folder created in dropbox, and then I believe these are supposed to sync to OneDrive, right?

gametime10

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2006
I was trying to solve the same problem. I ended up moving all my Office documents over to Skydrive, but keep everything else in Dropbox. Kind of a pain, but Skydrive seems to work okay. It's a bit slower when syncing on my Mac, but other than that, it's fine.

xabra

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
a simple solution

not very elegant, but if you use the oneDrive app on Mac and place the one drive folder in the dropbox folder you get to sync both ... it works.

my setup looks like Document/Dropbox/OneDrive/<all my stuff>

-xabra

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Sorry if the IFTTT solution isn't working well. I didn't design the recipe so I'm not sure how it integrates with each service. If you use desktop syncing the above suggestion might be more palatable.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
not very elegant, but if you use the oneDrive app on Mac and place the one drive folder in the dropbox folder you get to sync both ... it works.

my setup looks like Document/Dropbox/OneDrive/<all my stuff>

-xabra
Have you had any issues with that? Any sync failures or corruptions from having two sync folders inside each other?

smileman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Have you had any issues with that? Any sync failures or corruptions from having two sync folders inside each other?
Yes, I tried putting my One Drive folder inside Dropbox and ran into sync problems.

glenthompson

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2011
Florida
I moved my Dropbox folder under my OneDrive folder and both seem to sync fine. I have a small, free Dropbox account but got lots of OneDrive space with my Office 365 subscription.