Making Dropbox and OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive) play nice

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by smileman, Apr 9, 2014.

1. smileman macrumors member

So I was really excited to see Office released for the iPad. No more dragging my 15" MBPr home with me on the bike in case I need to do some work at home or early morning. Just hop on the iPad.

But all my files are in Dropbox, which Office for the iPad can't easily access.

I was wondering if there might be a way to house either my Dropbox folder inside my OneDrive folder, or vice versa? Has anyone tried this? I gave it a go earlier and got errors from OneDrive about my folder path being too long.

2. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

You can check out a free app called IFTTT that will accomplish this easily and keep everything in sync all from your iPad, here's a screen from the application.

[​IMG]

3. smileman thread starter macrumors member

4. smileman thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately this does not appear to be working.

I tried two different recipes and neither is working. I am putting files in the new public folder created in dropbox, and then I believe these are supposed to sync to OneDrive, right?

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Thank you for the reference. I too have been looking for something like this!

6. smileman thread starter macrumors member

Is yours working? Mine has never been triggered.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have not set it up yet.

8. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

I tried mine, but it won't sync folders inside of my Public folder, just individual files inside my public folder. Any way to change this?

9. gametime10 macrumors regular

I was trying to solve the same problem. I ended up moving all my Office documents over to Skydrive, but keep everything else in Dropbox. Kind of a pain, but Skydrive seems to work okay. It's a bit slower when syncing on my Mac, but other than that, it's fine.

10. xabra macrumors newbie

xabra

a simple solution

not very elegant, but if you use the oneDrive app on Mac and place the one drive folder in the dropbox folder you get to sync both ... it works.

my setup looks like Document/Dropbox/OneDrive/<all my stuff>

-xabra

11. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Sorry if the IFTTT solution isn't working well. I didn't design the recipe so I'm not sure how it integrates with each service. If you use desktop syncing the above suggestion might be more palatable.

12. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Have you had any issues with that? Any sync failures or corruptions from having two sync folders inside each other?

13. smileman thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I tried putting my One Drive folder inside Dropbox and ran into sync problems.

14. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

That's disappointin. Did it failed to sync or corrupt the file?

15. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I moved my Dropbox folder under my OneDrive folder and both seem to sync fine. I have a small, free Dropbox account but got lots of OneDrive space with my Office 365 subscription.