Making folders shared / administrator powers?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by davie18, May 18, 2011.

1. davie18 macrumors regular

Hi, my brother recently got a macbook pro, but he lets me use it whenever he is out the house. One thing that is very annoying though, is that for some reason I cant access the music library. |

He made an account with me as an admin, and all of the music was originally in his music folder and even after me made it shared it wouldn't let me access it when I tried to search for it on itunes.

I transferred his complete library to the shared folder but I am still getting the same problem:
    [​IMG]

Now firstly I would have thought if I am an admin, then surely I should be able to access the shared folder. But secondly, I'd like to know how to you make folders so all users can access them? I already right clicked on it to make it a shared folder but it didn't seem to do anything.

Thanks!

2. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I discovered the same problem with my music collection. It is a permission problem and you should click on the "Get Info" tab to see what permissions are set. In my case, the permissions on that folder with set to system read and write and I have to say I really have no idea what system permissions are--it should have been everyone read and write. This is a shared drive off of my Time Capsule. In my case it seems the problem was creating the music folder while mounted to the Time Capsule. Rather than changing the permissions to that folder I created a new folder with the drive mounted to my iMac and the permissions are fine now. They should be user, staff, and everyone read and write--in most cases.

So first check the permissions to the folder that is causing you problems.

3. davie18 thread starter macrumors regular

Well thanks a lot for the help and that does solve the problem, however I have a new problem:

[​IMG]

It doesn't let me change the permission for multiple folders at once, so I'd have to go into ever folder, and then ever folder inside those folders, and change the permissions on all of them until I could access the music library properly.

There must surely be a better way than this?

4. davie18 thread starter macrumors regular

5. Member(TM), May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011

Member(TM) macrumors member

If you don't mind using the terminal, you may try this:

1. Open the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

2.- Type the following commands in the Terminal, replacing "your brother's username" with his account name (type exactly, capital letters do matter):

cd /Users/your brother's username
    sudo chmod -R a+rX Music

3.- Enter your admin account password when prompted.

This will change permissions on Music and all its subfolders.