Making HD videos for Bluray?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by patseguin, Apr 7, 2011.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I just ordered a flash-based HD camcorder and plan on doing my editing on my iMac 27" i7. it just occurred to me though that I won't be able to make any bluray discs that myself or friends could have for viewing on TV. If I want to record HD video and make bluray discs, do I have no choice but to use a PC since Mac's don't support bluray?

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

You can author Blu-Ray discs from Final Cut Pro 7 & Compressor, as well as from Toast and Adobe Encore(CS3 and up, I believe). As for playback under OSX, there is no native support, although there are workarounds(makemkv, VLC). AFAIK, only Encore allows you to create custom Menus.

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Forget the 'mac doesn't do bluray' thing for a minute. It's just a specification comprised of a set of video and audio formats.

You will be able to export from your video editing application in a 'bluray' compatible format (h264 and PCM being the most obvious choices).

That resultant file will not be in the right container, that's a two minute job to fix, but it's a lot easier on a windows machine.

As for burning your files to a Bluray disk, you may have to resort to a windows machine, I really don't know.