Making Hidden Files Active????

Discussion in 'macOS' started by landonveitch, Oct 25, 2009.

1. landonveitch macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I am a new Mac owner so if I seem a little misguided I do apologize but I need some help.

I created myself an Automator action to show my hidden files and it runs great. Now that I can see the hidden files, how do I make them so they are no longer hidden files?

I ask because I have an MP3 album that has the folder.jpg file in it but it is hidden file. Now I can see it with my Automator action but how do I make it so its an active file and not hidden so I can rename it, move it and use the artwork in my iTunes because iTunes doesn't recognize hidden files?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Not sure why you want to do this, or what effect it will have on things, but files beginning with a dot (.) are invisible. Rename the file so the file name doesn't begin with a dot and it should be visible.

3. landonveitch thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I found that information but that does not apply to me for that the file does not have a "." infront of it. Here is a screenshot of my desktop. As you can see from my highlighted item, its hidden but I cant access it. Any other ideas?

[​IMG]

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You can try out Hide Folders for Mac, though I can't remember the method it uses to hide if it's the . at the beginning of the file name or if it uses another method.

Another thing to try. From Terminal,
    Code:
    SetFile -a v path/to/file
    or just rename the files from Terminal,
    Code:
    mv path/to/file path/to/newfile

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I don't have any experiance with it, but it looks like this will do the trick for you (and a bunch more) File Sheriff. It's free for 14-days and then $14.95 if you want to keep using it.

6. landonveitch thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the 411 fellas I will give those a try. Thanks!