Making HTML Email, Comes out with unwanted lines

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mashinhead, Aug 28, 2010.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

So I made an html email. all looks well in DW but when I send out a test email I get these unwanted lines in between the rows. I can't figure it out.

All the cell padding and spacing and borders are set at 0.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

In what email client? A number don't handle CSS very well depending how you're applying your attributes like the cell spacing and padding. Also, seeing the exact code would be helpful.

3. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm checking it in gmail. I didn't really apply CSS it's pretty default settings.

code

[​IMG]

4. designguy79 macrumors 6502

What does the HTML code look like from the mail client? You should be able to find a "view e-mail source" somewhere. I think Google calls it "show original" hidden under the dropdown menu next to the reply button.

5. joeydog macrumors newbie

I had this problem once when using a system to email clients. The solution was something like putting <align=bottom> for each image. Sorry I don't remember the exact solution.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Doing a screen shot of text seems very odd. It would have been more practical to copy and paste the code.

Anyways, add the attribute valign="top" to the td tags with images.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...or just don't send out HTML e-mails to begin with. What if the recipient has HTML display turned off?

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, you can send two versions of the same email for text-only users in a single message. It's not clear if the OP is doing so, but isn't really relevant to their question either. Though I do prefer text emails myself.

9. a cat *miaow* macrumors regular

Are you uploading the HTML and then sending via Apple's 'email page' function? if so that always has this issue as far as i've ever known.

You need to send through an application which sends HTML emails -*Maxbulk mailer is my personal preference.
    Also to make sure it is as compatible as possible lose up all the gaps after the <td>s so each table row content is one line of code.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

But every e-mail client renders HTML differently. You're going to need to test the code in every major mail client if you're worried about it displaying correctly.

11. eponym macrumors 6502

You table border size should be '0' not '00'. Manually set the dimensions on the table cells, not just the images inside. And be careful about white space and line breaks inside the TDs. Some rendering engines (crappier older ones) like to add random whitespace.

If none of that works, try setting the line-height css property on the images.

12. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

In gmail you need style="display:block" on your imgs, or do it via css.

13. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

What does that do? will that work in other mail apps to like hotmail and yahoo?

Tried that and it didn't do anything

14. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

I am using the Safari shortcut to send this.

15. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

It makes it work in gmail. Yes, it's fine in all browsers. This is your fix, seen it day in and day out.

16. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

just remove height:

<table width="650" height="801" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" id="Table_01">

17. TassKaff macrumors newbie

stupid answer!

18. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Why is that a stupid answer? It points out just one of many problems with relying on HTML email for anything. I don't see you providing anything constructive to the discussion.

From someone that has been forced by my job to work with HTML email formatting and testing I can tell you from experience that no amount of testing will result in consistent HTML display across even the most popular email clients. It's simply not possible. The closest you will ever get is to go back to the table-based layouts and inline CSS and attributes that should have been abandoned in all HTML over a decade ago. If the OP insists on HTML email, plan on testing on dozens of browsers and mail clients on desktop and mobile, and on different OSs as well. Good luck getting any of them to actually look consistent of even usable on small screens unless the messaging is so simple and linear that it could have been conveyed as a plain text email in the first place with a link to a real website for more information.

19. TassKaff macrumors newbie

Did you read the question?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 11, 2016 ---
    Did you read the question?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 11, 2016 ---
    &nbsp

20. mortich macrumors newbie

mortich

I was working on an HTML e-mail, and ran into an issue with borders.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 4, 2016 ---
    Lately quite a few emails in my inbox have what I assume to be an accidental blue border around some (but not all) of the images. Can anyone suggest a solution?