making icon for iphone app

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by chipandtoast, Apr 10, 2010.

1. chipandtoast macrumors member

Is there anything I can use to make an icon for my iphone app that doesn't cost a large amount of money? It can be for Windows or Mac as I have both.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Technically if you have the time and inclination you could use MS Paint. Basically any graphics tool will work: use your favourite.

3. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

My personal favorite freebie is Paint.NET (Windows only)

4. firewood macrumors 604

For graphics editing, I run X11 and GIMP (free) on the same Mac I use for SDK development.

I've done at least 2 (ugly) icons for my apps that way.

My good looking icons were done by a professional graphics artist, but those icons cost $$$.

5. ranguvar macrumors 6502

You could download Photoshop, it has a 30-day trial period. You could also browse the net for iPhone Winterboard themes and create an icon that just mixed together from different templates.

6. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

7. MrCrispy macrumors member

MrCrispy

essentially any application that can produce a .png file can make the iphone icons. Gimp is a good choice if $0 is your max budget.

8. HarryWorksInc macrumors regular

heres an idea, adobe illustrator. The main thing that sells a user to buy your app is the title and the icon because thats what they see in the app store on first glance. You need really good graphics if you want your app to be successful so i suggest simply investing some money in Illustrator.