making iphone videos to stream from web

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by larswik, Jul 20, 2009.

1. larswik macrumors 68000

I am sure this has come up before but I could not find info on it. I simply want to convert my my quicktime movies to iphone versins and upload them to my website. Then I want to access my web videos from my iphone to stream to the phone. I created a iphone versions of my videos but once on my site the iPhone can't play them?

-Lars

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't think u can play videos embeded to websites. Maybe upload them to YouTube.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Can't play them - or wants to load them first before playing? Are you getting an error?

Its not enough to convert to iphone versions (they already are since they were recorded ON the iPhone) - they need to be converted to a streaming .mov with "quickstart". You can do this in quicktime pro or most video editing software.

If you're talking about other movies that you have on your computer that you want to stream - same rule applies -you need to convert it to a STREAMING video codec. It's not just a size/bitrate thing.

The header in the video file tells the computer or device whether or not to play while loading (stream) or to wait until the full file is loaded and then play.

4. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Yep it can be done.

You need to upgrade to Quicktime Pro and then use the Export function.

That's the instructions for a Mac, not sure about Windows. The below screenshot is from a Mac.

Attached Files:

5. larswik thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, that was the missing step using the Export Web and not just the Export.

I noticed it created 2 different version of the spot one 56K and the other 900K. I tried to get it to play the 900K version over the G3 network and it gave me an error message. But it would play it over Wi-Fi. I understand that it looks at the network and selects the best version. But when I use the app Showtimes to find the local movies and times I can also select to view a trailer of the film. this streams in high quality over the G3 network? How can I get my nice versions to play over the G3 network even though it might pause?

Thanks again!

-Lars

6. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Only a guess but I don't think that the people behind the Showtime app or the trailers are using Quicktime to export their movies at 900 Kbps.

They're probably using another program that exports at a much lower bitrate (maybe 300 Kbps) that still plays in good enough quality over the 3G network.

Try finding a different movie/conversion program and see if you can still export the same file format but at a lower bitrate than Quicktime's 900 Kbps.