Making iPhoto photos available to other user accounts?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by soonadog, Jul 7, 2010.

1. soonadog macrumors member

My daughter has a separate user account on my iMac. If I upload photos from my camera to iPhoto, they are then available on my user account.

I haven't found an easy way to make the same photos, or selected photos, available to my daughter when she opens iPhoto on her user account. Any help would be appreciated.

I have only found cumbersome ways involving exporting individual photos, but there must be an easy way to make a group of 30 or so available to her.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If it was me then I would share the iPhoto library within System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing. You then should be able to access if=t from other accounts on your mac.

3. soonadog thread starter macrumors member

I guess I don't get this. When I try to allow sharing of the iPhoto library, it is "grayed out," so I can only select "pictures."

I only wanted to be able to have some photos available to her - not the entire iPhoto library, let alone the pictures folder. And I wanted her to be able to edit and mess with the ones on her iPhoto library without messing with mine.

is that possible?

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If they are shared then no, as when she saves her 'messed' up photos they could overwrite those on the shared drive. If I was you I would buy a small USB memory stick and just give her her own copy. It shouldn't take that long to transfer them.

5. soonadog thread starter macrumors member

I need a memory stick to transfer them between user accounts? That sounds hard to believe there isn't a way to transfer them within the hard drive, but I obviously don't know much about this. Thanks for your help and sorry to be so ignorant.

6. soonadog thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I copied a bunch of photos on a memory stick, switched to her user account and clicked ""import to library." But when I highlight one of the jpg files to import, it freezes up (the rainbow wheel keeps spinning) and I need to force quit iPhoto.

Then, the weird thing is, when I open iPhoto, it says I am locked out. I looked into it and learned that I can fix it by finding iPhoto library in Finder, click "show package contents," find the file named iPhotoLock.data, and drag it to the trash. Then iPhoto is restored to normal, unlocked.

I tried to import the photos from the memory stick a couple of times and it keep freezing and locking, and I had to do the same thing to unlock it.

WTF?

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

In your account, go into MacHD>Users>Your Daughter's Account. Most of the folders will have a red No Entry sign on them, but her Public Folder won't. Open that and inside is her Drop Box. You won't be able to open this folder, but you can drop whatever photos you wish to have on this box.

She then goes into her Home folder and opens her Public Folder and her Drop Box and they will be there.

8. soonadog thread starter macrumors member

Ah, thank you so much! I hope other people see this too - this is very helpful info!