making it legit

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zoran, Sep 26, 2016.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

There is a friend's late 2009 21.5" iMac that through the years has upgraded to Yose using OSXcopies etc., now its time to make things right. The iMac's old OSX documentation is lost, how can i make things legit and install a valid operating system, say like Yose?
    What can i do?

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Download either El Capitan or Sierra from the App Store and install.
    The link to find El Capitan is here: https://support.apple.com/HT206886

3. zoran, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

If i want to install Yosemite, is it possible to download it?

4. chrfr macrumors 603

Not from Apple unless you've already purchased it. El Capitan is good and stable now, there's no reason not to just use that.

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok so suppose i go with Capitan, how can i download it?

Also, wouldnt it be a good idea for Apple to have links of OSX's (after MountainLion) so people can use them at their will?
    Why should one purchase an older OSX so that he could have Yosemite on his Mac?

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP asks:
    "how can i make things legit and install a valid operating system, say like Yose?"

Well, seems to me if the friend's iMac is booting and running OS 10.10.x without problems, it -IS- a "good enough" copy of Yosemite.
    So far as I'm concerned, if the Mac boots and runs ok from the installed OS, then that "is all one needs"...

I'll also recommend you consider chrfr's post above:
    Download and install El Capitan instead -- it seemed to me to be a more refined makeover of Yosemite. Runs quite well.

To get El Cap, try the Apple Store.
    And if you can't get it there, I will suggest that there are (cough, choke!) "other places" from which it can be downloaded...

7. zoran, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes i am aware of the other places that one can get copies of OSX but i am very alarmed by this article here where it says the following.

"...Here is one thing you really mustn't do. Do not go to a torrent site and download a copy of OS X Yosemite. Just because Apple gives away its software for free, don't think it's fine to just pick up a copy. Nefarious types have bypassed Apple's security systems by uploading pirated copies of Apple software in the past. These have been adjusted to allow the developers access to the software. OS X controls all of your system, and if a hacker produced a customised copy of OS X, they have control over everything you do. Don't do it..."

After this article, would you still do it "that" way? :)

8. chrfr macrumors 603

There's no chance I'd ever install an operating system I got via torrent.
    Does your iMac have a firewire port and do you have a firewire cable? If so, you could use the iMac's recovery partition, put the MacBook Pro into target disk mode, and install OS X onto the MacBook Pro from the iMac.

9. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

In case you missed post #2, I'll quote it below.

The link in that post has a link to download El Capitan from an official location...

10. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

11. Fishrrman macrumors G4

zoran asks:
    "After this article, would you still do it "that" way?"

Yes, I would.
    I have no "computer fears".

I've actually had LESS TROUBLE with software downloaded from torrent sites, than I've had trying to download and install software from Apple itself!

Scold me if you must, but I'm gettin' old and no longer give a hoot about such things… ;)