Making iWork 09 as default app to open files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Csory, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Csory macrumors newbie

I have trouble setting up iWork 09 as the default application(s) for opening my existing files. Sure, I can go to "get info" then pick the old version to open that specific file at that time, but when I click "change all" it suddenly reverts to the darned new iWork version (which I hate and consider my first serious disappointment with Apple, also the only 20 bucks I regret paid for anything Apple-related :mad:) Tried to manually delete the new iWork apps but then "software update" keeps nagging me about them. I know that I could turn off auto-updates, but hey, that's like chopping my finger off to save time on trimming nails...

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yeah, this is annoying. There's no way to set '09 as the default.

BTW, you shouldn't have had to pay $20 for Pages if you already had the '09 version.

3. Csory thread starter macrumors newbie

...yeah, it should've been free, except if you purchased iWork as a stand-alone DVD installer, back in 09 (which I did, and as a "Family pack" with 5 users because iWork was great back then...) DVD install was not eligible for upgrade.

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

5. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

Nope. Any version of iWork is eligible for the free upgrade, whether pirated or installed from a DVD. The MAS scans the Applications folder for iWork and iLife apps and, if it finds them, links it to your Apple ID and enables you to update them for free.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for default aside from deleting them and hiding the updates as Bruno09 suggests. But I will say I'm pretty impressed with the new version and plan to deploy it to 200 MacBook Airs in a 1:1 program at a middle school this winter.

6. Csory thread starter macrumors newbie

It did not recognize my DVD-installed iWork so I had to pay. Hide update doesn't work in Mavericks - but thanks.

7. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

May be your iWork09 apps were not in the /Applications folder ?
    If they were in the /Applications folder, you should have been able to update for free (via the "updates" tab).

Hide a software update does work in Mavericks (see picture), but not for ALL apps (don't know why).

http://hpics.li/5198021

8. Csory thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, it was under /Applications/iWork. Might have been the culprit. Apparently, Apple disabled the "hide update" for iLife and iWork. Practice reminds me of my days at daycare 40-something years ago when food we hated was shoved down our throats :)

----------

If one has no hundreds of complex docs lovingly hand-crafted in Pages 09 then the new one might be a good one to start with. If you already have the previous version and used its excellent layout tools, well, the new one is just a load of goop.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No kidding.

Faced with this problem I zip-filed the new version and turned off the automatic updates at the MAS. I wonder if changing the name of the app might allow us to leave the new version on our Macs and still have the files created with old Pages open in old Pages? Worth a try I guess.

10. dtsimon macrumors newbie