Making Keynote presentation using iPhone/iPad

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by peterpan123, Nov 26, 2015.

1. peterpan123 macrumors 6502

Hello, I have some Keynote presentations made from my rMBP. How good it is to transfer the files to iPhone or iPad PRO and then use these device to make presentation? Any compatibility issue? Will there be problems if I make some modifications on iPhone/iPad PRO and then transfer the files back to rMBP for presentation later? If the iPhone/iPad PRO can do the job, I may not need to carry a heavy laptop often.

2. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Hi, I'm currently doing the same thing for a class project.

If you have iCloud turned on in th Mac, just sign in to the same iCloud account on your iPhone/iPad and use the Keynote app to pick up where you left off from. There will be NO compatibility issues when you do it this way, as Apple intended.

So yes, you can work entirely from the iPad/iPhone and leave your MacBook at home!

You can use the same animations and transitions in Keynote for iOS and the Mac and they'll work perfectly. But you won't find any animations in Keynote on iCloud.com - so you'll want to avoid using the web version.

3. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I have not used iCloud. Do you mean there is a web version of Keynote?

I meant the following workflow:

1. Complete the Keynote presentation and save the file in MBP
    2. Transfer the Keynote file and all videos locally to iPhone/IPP (What is the best way?)
    3. Bring the iPhone/IPP to conference for presentation.
    4. If during the trip I make some modifications on the iPhone/IPP locally, transfer the file back to MBP (What is the best way?)

Is the Mac OS version of Keynote 100% compatible with the iOS version of Keynote on the iPhone/IPP?

4. Sirious, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015

Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

The best way is iCloud. You'll have everything up to date, but you can do it manually if you want.
    If you have an Apple ID, you can log in to iCloud.com and create a presentation (web version), but you'll only get transitions - not animations. Animations are not supported in the web version.

The manual way:
    1. Create your presentation on your MBP
    2. Email it to yourself
    3. Make sure you have Keynote installed on your iPhone or iPad
    4. Open the email on your iPad or iPhone and tap the attachment
    5. It should open with Keynote
    Note: By not using iCloud, you'll have to keep emailing yourself the latest version.

"Is the Mac OS version of Keynote 100% compatible with the iOS version of Keynote on the iPhone/IPP?"
    Yes it is. They work exactly the same, but the interface is optimised for touch.

I would recommend that you use iCloud, just to keep it simple, but your workflow is completely doable the way it is as well

5. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the detailed steps. What if I have no internet connection when I need it? Another possible issue is the file size is too big for sending by email. Can I use the Apple Lighting-USB adapter to transfer files between a rMBP and iPhone/IPP?

6. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

You can work offline as long as you have downloaded the presentation to your ipad at least once. So that means opening the presentation on the ipad before you go somewhere without Internet.

As for the file size; You can't use any cables to transfer it. It has to be via the Web. So maybe you can upload to Dropbox/Google Drive and then access it from your ipad that way?

I'm sorry to keep mentioning iCloud, but it's the way forward haha

7. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you.

Why I need to open the presentation on the ipad before I go somewhere without Internet?

So, the lighting to sdcard reader and the lighting to usb adapter are no use? Do they only allow saving and loading of photos?

Depending entire on iCloud seems to be inconvenience.

8. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

When you open a presentation on the ipad, it creates an offline copy of it. So you won't have any problems when you go to any area with no Internet.

Those lightning accessories are of no use.