Making Leopard look like OS 9?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ZerninRim, Aug 11, 2008.

1. ZerninRim macrumors newbie

I've upgraded from an old Power Mac 5200 and iMac G3. I really liked the Platinum look of OS 9. I upgraded to the new Macbook Pro (15 inch, 512mb 8600) and didn't exactly like the bootup screen and the theme of Leopard. I found this theme thing called Platinum X 1.24 for OS X. And I was wondering if I could use the theme in Leopard. If not, can I do that at all? Or at least use the "Happy Mac" bootup screen and the old Apple logo? Thanks

2. ZerninRim thread starter macrumors newbie

Joke post? No. I've honestly been using those 2 machines for the past 7 years. I come from an extremely poor family. I'm still living with my parents, and was just able to finish paying off my college fees. So I had extra money, and upgraded. I'm getting an apartment in a week. No joke post. Any more help?

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I would just get used to it, it's just going to keep getting better anyway.

4. ZerninRim thread starter macrumors newbie

*sigh* Thanks... I guess I'll be returning the MBP and getting a low end Macbook and using that as a backup.

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Wow...talk about old school. You will just have to get used to it.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You could probably find a way to do the bootscreen, however, the theme you mention is only for 10.2 and 10.3, I doubt it would work in Leopard.

7. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Interesting thread!

You really don't like the looks of OS X that much? What don't you like? Or better yet, what did you prefer about 9? Or is it simply nostalgia? :confused:

I am nostalgic about some things in life, but computers, not so much... :)

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Return it? The macbook is going to have the same theme ... Is a theme really that important to you that you would go with extremely outdated technology and possible security risks just to have it look that way.

9. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

BootXChanger can do the happy mac; however, you should take care to use only the images it has supplied, as intel macs are picky about the boot images. It works as advertised.

As for OS 9 look, sorry to say I can't help you here. If you had Tiger, you could use ShapeShifter ($15 shareware) to get Platinum look. Maybe look for a refurb MBP with Tiger?

10. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Well... I miss my DecSystem20 running Tops20... Even had my own KLAD pack.... but I've moved on... Leopard is a nice OS... give it a try.

11. ZerninRim thread starter macrumors newbie

The other Macs are great, but I don't want a 2800 dollar machine that'll be used as backup. I'd rather get a Macbook with a 320 gig HD. I do like old computers. I have been using leopard for a while, but for my job, I need to use Classic apps. So a macbook and an iBook G3 for me! I'm trying to mod leopard with CandyBar.