Making Lion Install Disc *After* Installation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by -tWv-, Jul 22, 2011.

1. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Has anyone figured out how to make a Lion install disc after they have already installed the OS?? All the guides I have read need to be done in SL before installation, but I still want an install disc just incase something happens. Anyone?

2. BillyBuff macrumors newbie

I'm reading that the Lion installation is automatically deleted after installation so the .dmg file will also be deleted as well.

Sorry, dont know any other way except to make a copy before installation. Perhaps logging onto the app store on another machine and re-downloading it?

3. scottjua macrumors newbie

I used time machine and found the Lion install app and burned it. It was 3+GB, so I assume that's all I needed. I never could find a DMG file on time machine either.

For what it's worth I DL'd the upgrade but didn't install for a few hours which gave time machine time to back it up.

NOW, though I am running into losing some key rosetta based apps, and need to revert to snow leopard, and am wondering if what I burned is all I need...???

4. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I'm pretty sure you needed to click show package contents on the lion install app and the .dmg file is in there. You can't just burn an app to a disc.

You are going to need a SL install disc to revert back to snow leopard

5. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

The installer file should be all you need to re-install Lion at a later date if you revert to Snow Leopard now. The OP wants to make an install disk, which requires viewing the contents of that installer, finding the DMG that is inside, and then restoring it to a DVD or USB memory stick. Once the installer has been deleted, you either have to find a way to re-download it (the App Store won't let you download it if you are already running Lion) or see if you can make an install disk from the recovery partition that Lion makes.

I made an install USB stick and installed to an external drive from that rather than running the installer, so I don't have a recovery partition... of course I don't need a recovery partition as long as I don't lose the USB stick.

6. scottjua macrumors newbie

Hmm... I honestly haven't looked in the app, I assumed everything I needed was in there. But it did burn the entire contents to DVD... so we'll see.

I'm in the process of a fresh install of SL now, and will use time machine to get the system back to pre-Lion state.

7. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

You will be good to go when the time comes to install Lion again. You just won't be able to boot from that DVD to do a fresh install. You will have to run the installer on the DVD from a Mac already running Snow Leopard (or just download it again from the App Store).

8. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

So I guess theres no way to do it without having snow leopard and the install file downloaded. I'll just install snow leopard on an external hard drive and boot to that and download it via the app store.

There should be an easier way to do this.. Oh well :/

9. scottjua macrumors newbie

All done, and my machine is back to good old SL. Funny enough I restored at a point where I have the Lion installer sitting on the dock too... so I guess I have that as well, when I need it in the future.

Now for Apple to make some updates, and my third party apps to catch up.

10. GFreeman macrumors newbie

If you go on to the App Store and start on a tab other than 'Purchases' ('Featured' for instance), and then ALT+click the 'Purchases' tab you will be given the option to download the Lion installer again. As far as I can see this is the best way to create an install disc of Lion after upgrading.

Once you have the installer just follow the instructions that everyone mentioned above to burn the disc.

Hope this helps everyone!

11. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Thanks for that, wish I knew that before, I took a much longer route to getting the disk but it all worked out eventually.